Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Exploring Our German Culinary Roots'!!

My son, Chuck, came out from Milwaukee, WI to visit, work remote and help me for 10 days.  We included some German cooking!

Following the recipe for spätzle!

Grating and boiling the spätzle!

Frying the schnitzel!


Enjoying schnitzel and spätzle with mushroom gravy, along with pickled red cabbage! YUM! YA VO!

 ________________________________
Chuck is a fan of marbled ryebread.  
Gram G is a fan of new baking adventures!






The proof is in the eating!



Chuck loved the bread!!
Would I routinely make the bread?
No. It is work intensive.  I would sell a loaf for $15.
Chuck buys his for $2.99.  But I'm sure it's not nearly as tasty and loving!
Can you guess what makes the dark marble, dark?
__________________
No family gathering is complete without a Gram G  German dumpling and sour gravy dinner!
Great granddaughter, Rosie, helping to break up bread!
Angie learning all the skills!
Making her first sour gravy prep!

Finished our meal with German chocolate cake!
HOWEVER!...

Mr. German was of English descent.
_____________________
We enjoyed a Bday/Retirement dinner out for Papa Frank!  With Carole

Millers and Schmidts and Schaefers. Oh My!!



..Went sightseeing with Zach around Mt. Hood.




And along the Columbia River Gorge.



That calls for a little Mexican cuisine!

Took in sunset on the Columbia River...


With sunset glow over Mt. Hood


And sunset magic over Vancouver!


No visit is complete without a Labyrinth game!
Who won???


REFLECTIONS  
I appreciate and enjoyed having Chuck here for 10 days!  It is good for me to be with family.  And for family to interact with each other, especially if they live far apart.  He did several fix up, clean up jobs  that are difficult for me to manage.  Mostly I am grateful for his attention and concern for me. It was nice to have someone around to cook with and share a meal. And it warms up the cold, rainy days of winter!  His visit also had motivated me to do a fair amount of cleaning before he came!  It's all a Win-Win!

This has been a good 3 GeoGram weeks in the life of Gram G!

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him."  (Psalm 34:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment