Saturday, December 24, 2016

Fourteen Days of Christmas!! Post Views....28,412


           Dec. 11  Sunday....time for a Christmas concert at the First Presbyterian Church in downtown Vancouver.  



Friend Nancy and I (minus the turkey legs) headed out on a rainy afternoon to get to a 3 o'clock concert by the Vancouver Singers.  I drove and since we had gone there last spring I knew the church was downtown.  I did check mapquest to make sure I knew what streets to turn on and what direction.  It showed directions from a major interstate. I was going on a town street, but I saw where they both exited to the street we needed. I wrote down what direction we were to turn and how many blocks to the next turn.  That we did when we got there.  Nancy was happily counting the blocks we past.  Whoa!  We were headed to the interstate.  How did that happen and where is that final street we belong on? 
Why do strange things occur when one reads directions from the wrong direction?   I got turned around and Nancy started happily counting blocks in reverse.  We were somewhere near the church but I couldn't quite find it or the huge parking lot.  Luckily (for us) there was a couple walking near an intersection.  I stopped and asked where the church is.  They instructed me how to get to parking lot a couple blocks away.  The patient 2 cars waiting behind me were...well....seemed patient.   I had kept waving to them from the front window.....
    We were pleasantly surprised when the lady at the table gave us 2 tickets for the price of one.  Someone had just given them a donation.   The concert was a mixture of Christmas music from around the world.  My favorite was one about fish in a pond jumping and swaying for joy that Jesus had come.  Never had that visual before.  
_________________________________________
Monday, Dec. 12.  Went to town to see what I might buy....
                               Found something new, used to try.....
                          A treadmill, Oh My!!                 Found a spot where it snugly fits.       Now I can walk hills without going to the hills.....                  
__________________________________________________________

Tuesday, Dec. 13  Getting my cornbread on....


That evening our church was going with Pointman ministry downtown to give out coats, blankets, mittens, flashlights and tarps to the homeless.  We were also providing a spaghetti meal with corn bread and desserts.  

I decided to bake up 4 dozen corn bread muffins to take....used corn meal from the local grist mill.  

Having put on Christmas music I was soon dancing with my batter to the screeching and blaring of the Trans Siberian Orchestra.  Great stuff if one has had sufficient sleep followed by large quantities of caffeine..tea please.  

       It was a frosty, cold night for the PNW. We all bundled up toasty, except for our feet.
We were greeted by a full moon in a cloudless sky.





 I had pictured us standing there dishing up spaghetti and sauce on plastic plates, etc.  The reality was ladies had pre-packaged it in round covered cardboard contains and kept warm in an insulated carrier.  I still have much to learn...

Tents and shelters set up by the homeless.

We were fortunate on that Tuesday night because on Wed. a full blown cold and wind blew in that would have made it impossible for anyone to be out and about.  
______________________________________

    Wed. Dec. 14   

Ladies from the park  out to lunch, 13 of us.  

No pictures of ladies, but of a nice patty melt. I had never hade on before and wanted to try.  Yummy!
Home before the freezing rain and snow set in.....
_______________________________

Thursday, Dec. 15

Yep, it happens out here! Some folks like it...
Some of us don't....









_________________________________

Friday, Dec, 16.....Gotta venture out....Pretty....sorta.....sunshine!
Time to mail  19 grand kids' cards...
Shopping day at Freddy's...
  Perm at Sophie's salon


_______________________________

Saturday, Dec 17.....Yeah Deb!!  Congratulations!!
MBA from Concordia University, Portlan 

She was surprised and pleased to be "HOODED".  She didn't know that was part of an MBA!


Proud mom of rightly proud daughter!


Time to get my  party Portland on...

"Fire on the Mountain" buffalo wings....











__________________________________
Sunday, Dec. 18  Children's service at church...and carols...







Home for more 

decorating and Christmas movies...
Not wishing to be there!!

Monday, Dec 19 ....don't remember

Tuesday Dec20...
lunch with a friend
                    

 SHOPPING at Freddy's
PM set up winter village...stays thru Feb.

__________________________________
Wed. Dec. 21. winter solstice  
 cooking chicken dumpling soup
Home waiting, praying
    Angie Miller in surgery in Portland to get pain control device removed from her back....her and her mom's day...early morning to late night.
_______________________________
Thurs. Dec 22....daylight starts getting longer again...my favorite day!
Afternoon and evening hanging out with the girls while Angie recovers from 1st day post op.

Chicken soup, tea and Uno, cookie making and movies


A Gracie dog's tail, tale.....

Mic says I can play Uno with the girls.  
Let's see, I don't like these cards


 Blue or 4, you say        Nope....             Didn't win...stupid game

 ______________________________

 Friday, Dec. 23...Christmas Eve Eve....

Grammy, I just woke up...2nd,day post op



Am I related to my Gram G??








Sure glad I'm not related....




From daughter Angie in southern Wisconsin....
Will this work for missing homework??
_______________________________

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!



      This has been a good 14 Christmas days in the life of Grandma G.

  "For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end."  (Isaiah 9:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment