Monday, August 21, 2017

Total Solar Eclipse Fun.......Post views....33,311




Some disappointment.....
Lots of fun...

Disappointment because my friend, Nancy, and I were scheduled for a senior trip to Salem, OR to view the total eclipse. It was canceled last Monday--the trip, not the eclipse-- because of traffic concerns, possible clouds and the van had gotten in an accident that day. 
     Because I was planning on the trip and was also busy at a conference most of last week I didn't buy any glasses.  By Sunday they were no longer available.


(Campers at Madras, OR)  
     I was glumy this morning and figured I would just watch the eclipse on TV.  But with this being almost a holiday I decided to drive to my family, the Millers, and hang out there.  
 They had 4 pairs of glasses for us to share...

Don't get in my way....



Looking to the sky....

As the eclipse  progressed
we were excited to observe it; things seemed quite normal at first.



          

 But then the little dogs in the house started barking and barking.  When we took pictures of the eclipse strange shapes and lights appeared.
As the moon passed and covered the sun 98%,  the day was replaced with "dusk" and we saw a large star.  The temperature dropped leaving a cold breeze. Carole said, "Listen!"  We didn't hear anything.  "That's it", she said, "the dogs are silent in the house!" 


(Computer photo...total coverage in mid-Oregon)











____________________________________________________

On the greener side of life, Saturday I enjoyed a trip with a church group to the Japanese Gardens in Portland.

After the excitement of the solar eclipse, I invite you to a serene stroll through tranquility.  

The mindset is one of calm so green is the color of a Japanese Garden.  No flowers except cherry blossoms, and Japanese Irises since the narrow pointed leaves resemble the swords of the Samurai.  


 
 
Their artistic philosophy is one of "asymmetrical balance".  I can relate to that.  Another way of saying "artistic chaotic balance", the story of my life. 
 
















_______________________________________________________



A final note of peace.  I was privileged recently to hear the music of John Doan from Oregon.  He is the pioneer of the 20 string harp guitar. This instrument is rare in the world.  He had this one designed and crafted.  His artistry and sound are soothing.  I am listening to it now as I blog.  












This has been a good 7 "solar eclipse fun" days in the life of Grandma G.

"Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise Him in the heights above. Praise Him, sun and moon; praise Him, all you shining stars. Praise Him, you highest heavens and you waters above the sky."
(Psalm 148: 1,3 & 4)


No comments:

Post a Comment