Tuesday, August 20, 2019

My Surprise!



"I DID IT! I DID IT!"
To quote Dora the Explorer....
I entered the Oregon Christian Writers contest and came in as a finalist!! I submitted an unpublished devotional.  I did not take first place...though later a judge said she thought I came in second. (She might simply be an encourager.)

I had entered two years ago and did not reach finalist. The critiques seemed harsh so I did what any aspiring writer would do....I gave up. After sitting out a year I had an inspiration from observing a comforting interchange between one of my sons and his daughter.  I wrote on that.  


We had a marvelous 4 day conference featuring morning worship services; keynote speakers from writers, editors and producers; workshops on our individual genres; and one on one coaching from professionals. 
The interaction was quite intense.  I attended workshops on writing devotionals and how to build a dynamic website.    


I did learn one awe-inspiring bit about our human brain..... 

I met 4 ladies who I know will become lifelong friends....



I even got my exercise in by walking to the various meetings


The conference was held at the Red Lion Hotel along the Columbia River in Portland.  Some folks traveled from the east coast and Canada.  I merely had to cross the river.  But since even that is too much city driving for me, granddaughter Angie was my chauffeur. 

I took an hour on Tuesday afternoon to enjoy some Columbia River, I-5 bridge, Mt. Hood,  scenery. 








A few of the 12   bridges of Portland.
I have only one complaint about the care the hotel gave us...
the meals were totally Portland Foodie Fare....It was tasty and a delight to vegans and vegetarians.  But my brain and belly shouted, "Where's the beef?"  That's my beef....  




My trusted granddaughter companion picked me up on Thursday. We dashed to Cracker Barrel for a Midwest meal of pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole and corn bread. Observe what is not there??  See anything GREEN....? 

This has been a good 10 "my surprise" days in the life of Grandma G.

"My heart is stirred by a noble theme, as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer."  (Psalms 45:1)
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment