Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Spring Break/Part 1..."It's Too Far".....Post Views....17,555





     Ah....the wonders of spring break even if one isn't a student and one "didn't go anywhere".   This "one", Grandma G, had a great week of adventures...


"It's TOO FAR"
Wednesday, April 8, I joined a senior trip to Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast.  Leaving a cloudy Vancouver/Portland area we drove an hour and a half into sunshine and blue skies 20 minutes from the coast.






On the way through town the our van drove by the coast where I saw the tide way out and Haystack Rock surrounded by beach with people walking out it.  (The van drove by the Rock so we could "observe" it.) Reaching the end of town the van turned around and drove by the rock again on our way to midtown. At this point I asked the shocking question, "Are we parking somewhere that I can walk to the rock?" "It's Too Far.  It's TOO FAR.  It's too far," was all I heard. 
      WHAT?  Come all this way and the rock so accessible and NOT walk out to it?  Unthinkable.....at least in MY mind.  
      Once the van parked and we were on our own for 4 hours I walked 3 blocks to the beach.  No sight of "The Rock".  Echos of "It's too far. It's TOO FAR.  It's too far" resounded in my head.  Bummer.  What's left except to wander aimlessly on the beach...
while negative thoughts bombarded my brain.  How can a kid see the cookies on the upper shelf and not devise a way to get at them? Or know there is ice cream in the deep freeze and not plot how to get it?  
    A short stroll to the left on the beach brought the coveted goal in sight. Four hours to do whatever one desired (within limits).  Having decided that I can eat anytime or shop anytime I concluded I could NOT walk to "The Rock" anytime.   How far down can it be?
How far is "too far"?  I started a leisurely walk about 10:20 AM.  

"Selfie" practice shows progress to the goal



 












Almost to Haystack Rock.....






Happy folks exploring 
Haystack Rock







11:40 AM.....
Happy Grandma G about to
explore Haystack Rock.....
Hour and 40 minute leisure walk...about 3 miles?   




















About 20 minutes earlier people could walk out to touch the large rock on the right.....tide was starting to come back in so attendants were setting signs......had I not dawdled I would have been there in time..... 








"Other side" of the Rock....


















Time to walk back to town.....12:05....


        A look back to Haystack Rock.....
         A great, rewarding walk in the sand.....











1 PM.... time for a Chi Latte at the Insomnia coffee shop.....

I did find out that almost everyday when tide is low people can walk out to Haystack Rock.....If one parks close by the rock one does not have to go for a long leisurely walk to get there...... 
Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach at low tide is now near the top of my PNW "to do" list.....


2:30 PM...all us seniors are back on the van for one more stop before returning to Vancouver.....

This one senior did not even brag to the others that I walked to that rock that was "too far"...... so that is that.....

(My leg muscles were rather tight come Friday.....)
But my "I did it" attitude is still elated.....


Haystack Rock at high tide......(website picture)

This was a good recalling "It's too far" day in the life of Grandma G.

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." (Proverbs 13:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment