Tuesday, June 14, 2016

So.....How was your Drive.....Post Views....24, 923

UP NORTH?

OH, YOUR TYPICAL.....

..5 minute downburst just as you and son Al are leaving Wausau.....
downed trees along the route to Sam's club to get tires changed before getting on the road for 110 mile drive north.... 

....an hour later...
...pleasant lakes and the Wisconsin River....

...your usual deer running across the road in front of your car...



....the regular storm clouds gathering all around you....

...chasing the coveted rainbow down a country road in hopes of finding the pot of gold at the rainbow's end....


...only to discover a spooky new house abandoned before it was ever finished...







...And the normal wild turkey splat on the windshield from an ill timed turkey take off from the edge of the road....

This was last Sunday, the start of a week in Park Falls.




     I was saddened to learn that my friend and sister-in-law, Betty, was temporarily in a care facility recovering from complications caused by back pain.  She graciously still invited me to make her home my accommodations for the week.



    Early Monday morning I was greeted by the rumbling sounds of  dump trucks hauling sand for repaving the neighborhood streets. This continued all week....




On Wed. I decided to use up some veggies in Betty's refrigerator and found some chicken chunks in the freezer to make her a pot of soup for her return.  It was smelling very good using misc spices!  When she came in the door she enjoyed the aroma and then told me that the chicken probably was not good for consumption since it had been refrigerated too long.....it was the story and joke of the rest of the week.  The soup was still sitting in the frig when I left on Monday.....


    Meanwhile, back at Lou's, Al was concerned about noises coming from the attic.  He had bought a live trap but something was eating the seeds and getting away before it was caught.  He readjusted the tension and soon he caught a little critter.  After admiring him for a bit Al took the trap outside and released the squirrel.  In 30 seconds it was up a tree, waiting to get back into the attic.  

Hanging out with Lou daily..

Buzzing around in his wheels for the week....
complete with rust and bad brakes...


THE BIG EVENT OF THE WEEK......
  On Friday Al and I drove for 2 hours to check him into a hospital for repair of a ruptured tendon on his right elbow.  


checking in and waiting....






ready for the party to start.....








Having lunch in same cafeteria where I dined for several days 2 years ago when Lou had heart surgery.

This time got lost trying to find my way back to the out patient clinic...friendly employees directed my way....

5 hours later Al is ready to go home...with instructions not to get the cast wet.....
Here, they said, use these nice long plastic gloves that go up to your shoulder when you shower.....they are A-I gloves used when servicing cows..??...(artificial what, you say??)





   But they won't let us leave the hospital...
   We have to sit out the tornado threat and severe storm that is blowing through..







Finally on our way home and Al re-uniting with his family.....

I was glad to be in PF the day of his surgery to help him out...


     Gram G was greeted by unhappy news on Saturday morning....
my debit card had been hacked and already been used twice for fraudulent charges...large amounts for me..with it being Sat. there wasn't much to be done until Monday other than blocking my card...my only card and no cash in my purse.  Fortunately, I had my checkbook and the local bank cashed a check for me shortly before closing at noon.  (The initial process for settling this matter is too distressing for me to retell....) 


Sunday was a happier occasion.  17 year old Grandson Devin and lady friend Rachel led a 90 minute worship service at the local church.



Towards the end he sang a song that he composed earlier this year.   

I was privileged to be in Park Falls the Sunday he was there.  He lives  in Wausau and this was his first time ministering in PF. 


 Sunday evening Al treated me and 4 kids to a viewing of the new Jungle Book movie.  
The Park Theater has been a mainstay of Park Falls for over 70 years.  




     Monday morning it was time to say goodbye to Lou, Betty, Al and Park Falls.  Need to catch a ride to Wausau with son Chuck on his way back from camping and heading to Milwaukee.  
     I had a good week in PF, though I didn't get to visit with several friends I had hoped to see.  I was glad for the timing of other events.  
    Enjoyed a couple walks along the Flambeau River and Hines Park.  My favorite PF place to walk.



BACK IN WAUSAU....


Tuesday, a once in a life time  bonding experience with son Burt....
mama and grown son getting hair cuts together.....






Once more time to repack....

"What's in YOUR wallet?"

Time to say goodbye to mid Wisconsin 

On to the next adventure....
Check back to find out, 

"Where's Gram G?"





This has been a good 7 "up north" days in the life of Grandma G.

"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens."  
(Psalms 68:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment