Thursday, January 26, 2017

After the Storm....Post Views.....28,914





     Come Thursday, Jan 19, there was just a hint of snow left in the Hobbit garden. Our area of the city was starting to return to normal, though sections of Portland and VC were still plagued with snow and icy roads. I was ready to get on with life. 

        I had finally finished Autumn's album and was eager to mail it to her.  Stopping in at the PO the lady said it would be $11. No way was I going to pay that much.   I brought it home to
repackage it in a lighter weight package after I bought a mailer, since I could get one and a second one for half price.   Getting home it lay on the counter for a couple weeks.  Finally I determined to mail it.  OOPS, the mailer was too small.  
          I had gotten the calendars ordered.  With the bad weather the delivery was delayed.  Finally today I went to the mailboxes.  Yeah!  a key was in there for the locker that contains large package.  OOPS, the mailman left the wrong key.....
        I'm also waiting for a fresh supply of Yorkshire tea.  I ran out a few days ago.   Hopefully the tea is also in the locker.  But how can one know without the correct key.....
_______________________________


      Friday was a welcomed busy day after the cabin fever from the recent snow storm.  I had to take Ted in to get his right front light bulb changed and a general "check up" since his over the mountain trip last summer.  Carole met me and we went downtown VC while waiting for the repairs. She introduced me to BOOMERANG, a many purpose "generosity shop", featuring second time around (except for food and drink) items, a book reading nook, art pieces for sale, a tree house and play area for kids (or wanna be kids).   




Carole and Gram G.....

I found something I have searched for many years....
real gum made with real sugar, all organic.
Once one gets past the similarity look of rabbit pellets the gum is quite tasty.  Did I mention this is a "second time around" shop?

It even has its own supply of "post chew" papers....Best find so far this year!!

     After picking up Ted and returning home I welcomed guests for a late lunch.  

     Grandson Zach and Amanda brought great grand baby #1, Rosalie, over for a visit.


"Co-great grandma" Carole
Come 5:30 my friend, Kahana, picked me up to ride into Portland for a Mission Connexion Convention. 

We were privileged to see and hear Joni Earekson Tada speak on how God has enabled her to live a full life as a quadriplegic for 50 years.   


We were also thrilled to watch incredible unicycle feats by Dustin Kelm.




Kahana picked me up again at 8:30 Saturday morning to drive across the I-5 draw bridge into Portland.
This day I randomly met up with 3 separate people that I know whom I haven't seen for several months.  I also spoke with a couple at a booth who work out of Green Bay, WI and are familiar with Wausau.  It was like homecoming day!  Great fun.  We headed home by 2:30.  Kahana said she was going to the Y to workout.  Gram G went home to bed and slept for 4 hours.....after she was nicely surprised by an orange box sitting by her door.  The mailman must have retrieved the Shutterfly order from the no-key mail locker and dropped it off.  Yeah!!  Still no Yorkshire tea....
______________________________________
   

     Monday brought sunshine and milder temperatures. Time for a 35 minute walk. 

Ahhhh.....the January green grass that beckoned me out here several years ago!




Hints of spring.....is it April already??







   Tuesday morning I woke up a bit distressed, yet got on with the day.  Breakfast out and good conversation with a dear friend; a little shopping therapy at Freddy's; sending off the calendars and Autumn's album for a reasonable cost; my order of Yorkshire Gold tea waiting  on the porch; a 35 minute/1.5 mile walk on the treadmill and an hour of stretches
while catching up with Star Trek; a Happy 22nd B-day text to grandson, Josh, all sent me to bed that night happy once again. 

__________________________________
Next morning it was time to hop out of bed to make an egg/spinach/artichoke/cheese bake for our Red Hat Mamas potluck breakfast and yearly organizing meeting at 10 o'clock.  
Friend Nancy and Gram G helping decide what activities to do throughout 2017.           After the breakfast Nancy finally got me to her home to transfer pictures from her computer to me from a senior trip we went on early in the fall.  
While working with the computer she played a CD of Andre Rieu.  There is a singing bird on a particular piece.  Her canary belts out a mighty duet when he hears it.  It was fun to listen to...
Nancy also showed me her ancestry work she has been doing.  She is the great, great niece of a girl rescued from Indians by Daniel Boone.  But that is for another blog post story.....

    With heading to San Diego soon I wanted to use up a mixture of 5 veggies and some hamburger.  I had bought a box of "non cook" lasagna noodles, had never used them before.  They were short.  The directions said they would spread out to the end as they bake.
But what direction to put them?  The length or the width of the pan?  I decided on the width.                                                         Seems they baked out alright.  But I am not that impressed with the texture of the noodle and probably will not buy that type again.

Made it on Wed.  Have I eaten the whole pan by now? NO....nine portions went into the freezer, but don't tell my family out here.  They think I have a freezer fixation and once food goes in there it doesn't come out for several months, maybe even years.  Only 1 or 2 years.. 
_______________________________
 Yeah!  2.02 mile walk, but don't believe the 45% done business.  I was 100% done!
Thursday was a semi-sunny day with mild temperatures.  Great to be outside observing the promise of early spring (compared to Up North WI). The chirping birds and budding flowers certainly brought feelings of spring to me.  I have concluded that northern Wisconsin is 6-7 months of winter and 4 weeks of spring whereas southwestern Washington is 6 months of spring with 4 weeks of winter.  


     But, hey,  I am going to San Diego soon where it is spring and summer all year round!!

This has been a good 8 "after the storm" days in the life of Grandma G.

"For you [Lord] have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat."  (Isaiah 25:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment