Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Jan.10th Already? Really?....Post Views....28,600

The BIG NEW YEARS NEWS....
      ...WEATHER...


      Monday, Jan 2, was my first day "post Christmas season".  It was a great day bonding with an all day Star Trek Voyager marathon on BBC America.  It isn't Jon Luc Picard but it will do.

       Later in the afternoon I walked over to get Saturday's mail and also to bring Ted home from sitting in the visitors' parking the past 5 days.  However....Ted would not make even a pathetic squawk. He sat there doing absolutely NOTHING.  Monday also happened to be the coldest PNW day yet this winter.   
      After walking home against the cold blowing wind I lingered in the house awhile wondering what to do.  I texted Deb and Keys but they are 30 minutes across town.  Then I called Tim, the fellow who has done some handyman work for me.  He immediately met me by the vehicle with his "battery box" and tried to start Ted.  Nothing. Absolutely nothing.  I had parked the hood forward into the parking spot so there was no way of jumping it until he pushed it back into the road.  Even then with the jumper cables nothing happened.  Finally Tim revved up his truck and Ted kicked in.  After a few minutes Tim suggested for me to drive around the park a couple times and then let it idle about 20 minutes.  Fortunately after all that Ted started right up.  I am guessing I left on the front dome light and 5 days was long enough to drain the battery.  
      
   That evening after walking on the treadmill 30 minutes/1.30 miles, I determined to get back into "normal life" as I know it.   I decided to get up in the morning and get back to water aerobics. But I still left room for a "maybe".  I did wake up in time to lay in bed a few minutes, get up have a cup of tea and head out to aerobics....hoping that Ted would be up to starting.  He was.
    Later in afternoon to Freddy's for groceries and to study some "natural, organic" alternatives to items I now use.  On the way home it seemed the light shining from my front lights should be brighter than what I thought I saw.  Sure enough, on checking them when I got home, I discovered the right one not shining.  Now what?? 
      Evening was time to catch up on 2 of my favorite reality show
families....Kate Plus Eight and Little People/Big World.  Took until midnight to do that.     

 WHAT is YOUR most red-neck stay at home leisure outfit?
 

  Wednesday the main event was to be a 2 hour dentist appointment for a crown on an upper tooth.  When I woke up about 6 AM feeling quite cruddy I wasn't so sure about sitting in a dentist chair for 2 hours with a headache and icky stomach.  The dentist office was kind and rescheduled for next Tuesday.  So today in between naps and a last round of listening to my Christmas CDs  I have time to start the surprise family 2017 calendar which runs from Feb to Feb and/or work on an "enhanced" Grandma G blog format.  
      Today is a blustery, very windy, wind chill day of 27 degrees.  Not quite the -20 wind chill day in northern Wisconsin.



Mt Hood can still show up the WI arctic for snow....



The Oregon State Police office at Government Camp is open for business, even though the only thing visible is the front door! Just another reminder of our great snowpack in the Cascades this winter ❄️ 👮 
Photo Courtesy: Hoodland Fire District #74








A "DUH!" MOMENT......
     We have all had our "AHA!" moments.  Recently I had a light giving "Duh!" moment.  Lately grocery shopping has been a challenge to buy the "just right" salad greens mix.  I have been buying the spring green mixes but after a few days the purple-green lettuce turns slimy and rots out the other lettuces that keep longer. All ends in wasted greens....

    Yesterday when trying to decide whether to buy another package, after trying other options, the "duh factor" kicked in and I realized I could simply take out the purple-green greens.  Those could be eaten the next day and the rest would keep for many days longer.  Duh!   
Bring on the super salads....



Thurs,
Jan 5, I Skyped with my twin grandsons in WI who are 2 years apart. It was their B-days...12 and 10.  I always feel like I am on a star ship Skyping from orbit to family on earth!!
A few days earlier I got to see and listen to 2 granddaughters play Christmas carols from their Milwaukee home.
Great fun!!



THE BIG EVENT......
   OREGON/WASHINGTON IS HAVING


WEATHER!!!!

Friday afternoon my daughter Debbie went to Mt. Hood with 7 lady friends to celebrate one of their B-days.  These are pictures of the snow from an upper loft and upstairs deck.  They were to drive home on Sunday but the DOT said there was no way of getting to Portland.  They made it back Monday afternoon.  

 Not only the snow and icy roads, but Big Foot invited his 3rd cousin to come for a visit.

On Wed. Keys, Mic and Jake flew to San Diego for Jake's LaCrosse
tournament.  Trying to fly back on Monday they were stranded in LAX.  Last I heard they were trying to fly into Seattle and then drive 3 hours south to get home.  

     The weekend before all the area was shut down with a small amount of snow, but mostly plagued with icy roads. Then again this weekend causing over 750 accidents in 36 hours.  

   For me being "shut in" by weather meant taking down all the Christmas decorations (Sat,); starting
and completing the family calendar to order on sale by midnight (Sunday); cleaning up and putting my living room/dining room/kitchen back in order (Monday);bravely going to the dentist appt in spite of feeling sick for a cleaning and consult rather than a crown prep (Tuesday);watching a real snow fall Tuesday evening. So continues another "snow event" causing miserable traffic problems
throughout the area. 

 A frozen Multnomah Falls

(Photo taken from
Face Book)

The odd reaction in me.....something very primordial, deep in me is declaring, "Finally after 4 years I am experiencing winter."  (But I don't have to shiver in -25 degrees.)
Time to climb into my flannel sheets for a long winter's nap.....



This has been a good 10 "weather" days in the life of Grandma G.

"The day is yours, and yours also the night; You established the sun and the moon.  It was you who set all the boundaries of the earth; you made both summer and winter."  (Psalms 74: 16 & 17)

No comments:

Post a Comment