Thursday, April 16, 2020

Birds and Chicks and a Rabbit, Oh My!

AKA THE GEOGRAM WEEKLY....







First comes love....







Well, you know the rest..




Then come babies in the birdie nest!!


Behind the wreath hanging on Gram G's front porch....



Last year's nest is in the back.   At that time I was gone when the finches nested and didn't know the outcome, but this year I get to observe from behind my blind on the front door.

Mama nesting on Friday. Moving around a little bit.

Papa checking in on her....







Mama was gone on Saturday so I peeked in above the nest.  I saw these unsightly blobs in the nest.  They were not moving.  Oh. I was afraid I had disturbed the parents and now they abandoned dead babies.  I felt bad.  Very disappointing.  
Sunday I didn't see any activity.  
Monday I saw a tiny yellow thing moving around!  And watched mama feed it!
I checked the nest again on Tuesday while there was no parent around.  I saw tiny blobs with heads taking a nap.  Shortly mama bird flew in with lunch and several little heads were reaching up!  And then dad came to help serve the meal!



 





It is such fun to watch new life happening right outside my front door!  Springtime!  Easter!!
__________________________

 I have an Easter chick story from when I was probably 12.  

I must have been living at home in Indianapolis that semester of my 6th grade.  My younger brother, Nick 11, and I wanted to go to Park Falls, WI, where our aunt lived for Easter.  What I remember is that we were at a store in Indianapolis and saw pink or blue dyed live chicks for sale quite cheap.  We decided to buy 3 to take to Park Falls.  I put them in a shoe box.  We took them on the Greyhound bus with us.  Occasionally we would peek into the box to watch the peeping chicks.  At some point the bus driver, a kindly elderly looking man, came back to us and asked us what we had in the shoe box.  We excitedly showed him our colored Easter chicks.  He responded,"Well, I'm not suppose to know you have baby chicks in a shoebox here on the bus.  Keep the cover on so I can't hear them."  He then went back to driving the bus.  
     Once in Park Falls, our aunt and uncle were pleased to see them.  They said they would take them to the family farm to be cared for.  That is the last we saw of our beloved Easter chicks.  I have a feeling that they tasted delicious to the folks at the family farm as time went on. 
The End....
I also have a great rabbit story, but you will have to come back next GeoGram week!
_________________________

This has been a busy 4th week of self distancing.
Tuesday evening, April 7, presented beautiful views of the pink super moon.  It appeared orange in the sky. 






Saturday I held my first Skype piano lesson.  It went quite well, was very refreshing to interact with a student again.  I had a second one today, Wednesday, through Facetime.  That was a little more difficult.  I am very pleased with myself to be up with the digital era!!

Saturday was also "let's bake a carrot cake day"!



Cut in two....
one for me and 
one for you....
if you are part of the Miller family...

Easter Sunday was enjoyable and self-distancing busy.

Online church service..







  Had virtual visits with some of my kids....

Observe the snowstorm in northern Wisconsin!!

Went for a walk around my neighborhood....





Later in the day I took a ride to Debbie's home.

The ppe Easter Bunny showed up!!




Check out my "I Will not Leave You" page for chapter 3.....My Foster Family (part 2)

This has been a good GeoGram week in the life of Gram G.


Sunrise on the Sea of Galilee, November 26, 2007
(photo by Gram G)




"Don't be alarmed, he [the angel] said, You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen!  He is not here.  See the place where they laid him.  But go, tell his disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you into Galilee.  There you will see him, just as he told you.' "  (Mark 16:6-7)



No comments:

Post a Comment