Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The First Annual....Post Views...27,191



    'Tis been a busy "first annual"week.  
I went for an autumn walk in the sunshine a week ago, Tuesday.  I needed some fresh Half and Half after being gone to San Diego for the week.  Decided to walk to the store one mile away rather than drive.





blackberry shrubs turning autumn colors...









Snow covered Mt. St. Helen's in the background. (Above the blue building)




Walked right across 4th Plaine, I did....
was aiming for 
Bi-Mart but went on to Salvation Army Store....I needed supplies for an important event the coming weekend.  After spending a few hours at the store it was late afternoon for the walk home..
Mt. Hood showed off a new covering of snow, while  several flock of geese flew over.  
(Here is the PNW the return of the geese announce of the arrival of autumn whereas in Wisconsin the departure of the geese makes the same announcement.)






          I found so many purchases (including the tree) that I needed to return with my vehicle to haul them home.


Wednesday started out partly sunny but rain was forecast to set in by evening and hang on for several days.  With my event coming up on Sat. and a senior trip on Friday I needed to buy vittles for my guests and do some prepping on Thurs. 
Trying out some Shire folk recipes.....   
    


Looks like Pippin and Merry were in 
farmer Maggot's veggies....they're in a stew now....
 










Po-TAY-to soup  




strawberries and cream bread....


stuffed mushrooms..



      

 Friday morning dawned rainy and my attitude the same.  I was very tired, sore throat, not wanting this adventure.  I had agreed to go with Nancy a month earlier, but now I was wanting to stay home and prepare for Saturday's gathering.  If I were going alone I would have cancelled, but didn't want to disappoint Nancy who was depending on my driving and companionship. So off we went at 8 AM to meet the other seniors for the Hood River Harvest festival a 90 minute drive away, to return at 5PM.  (All those hours I could be prepping at home....bummer.) Soon we were on our van and engaged in friendly, entertaining conversation.  I determined to relax and enjoy the day.

A stop at a chilly, windy Vista House above the Columbia River Gorge


 Second stop at the very full flowing Multnomah Falls....



Time to enjoy a Chai-latte, brisk air, and a few minutes to sit with falls in the background...






Finally we arrived at the Harvest Festival.  After looking through the booths with wares to sell and eating an authentic Mexican taco of hand made tortilla, beef chunks, cabbage, onion and lime I set off to find my friend from last year.  I asked him if he remembered me....he didn't.   (smile)


2015, 
Ima and Scott Cully....
world known giant pumpkin carver.



2016...
This year's pumpkin weighed in at
1,305 lb.....

I asked him what he was going to carve it into.  He didn't know, but he would be creating on Sat.  

(I couldn't find a photo of what he carved.)  (The white is merely a glare from the sun.)  Sun?

 3 o'clock it was time to board our van and head back home...

Rain clouds over a mountain peak.

Back home by 5 PM. 
Gram G climbed into bed for a 
3 hour nap....up to decorate for Saturday....told myself to go to bed about 1:30 AM.... 
SATURDAY....
3 PM...
IT'S TIME!!.....

THE FIRST ANNUAL 
HOBBIT GATHERING
IN THE 
VANCOUVER SHIRE.....



"State your business...there are strange folks about these days.."


Elven friend Megan, very tall hobbit Jake, Pippin, 
My Sam, Gandalf Julienne,Ranger Debbie, 
Frodo, Lady of the Woods Nancy and Shirefolk Kahana.....


Enjoying hobbit vittles with Shirefolk Keys 

desserts....


                                                                    my Sam....

hobbit goblets 



A bit of Shire mischief....Ranger Debbie pinning the gold and green arkenstone on Sam....Sam reacts badly to Green Bay Packer colors....




 Frodo's hobbit house decked out for 
The Gathering
"I Gotta FEED sometimes"....YIKES...


     Only disappointment of the day.   Gram G was not able to attend.  Guess she was away visiting her many progeny.   Maybe she'll be home for the next gathering.  I know she will have a great time.... 

This has been a good 7 "first annual" days in the life of Grandma G.

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."  (1 Peter 4:9 & 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment