Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Odd Predicaments...Post Views...29,225

      Happy Valentine's Day to all  my Valentines, known and unknown!  May the Lord bless and keep you, make his face shine upon you, and give you peace! 

      Today is a hazy-sunny day.  I can hear birds chirping outside, celebrating the start of PNW springtime. (Last evening the frogs in the wetland were in full chorus.)


                  crocus in too much sunlight... 

daffy down dillies waiting to explode....


     I want to catch up "to date" on my blogging...need to jump back a week to do that.

 Tuesday, Feb. 7
   I have been at home for the past 4 days, fighting a sinus virus....drinking eucalyptus tea, swallowing garlic and Vit C tablets, drinking buckets of black tea and enduring sneezing fits.  The sneezing was the worst.  I had to reschedule a dental and "new doctor" appointment. The next day was our ladies out to lunch day.  I called to say I hope to go but wasn't sure if I would be well enough.  

Wed. Feb 8.....
     Yeah!  I was well enough to go.  Jorge's Margarita Factory.


 I'm not totally fond of Mexican food, but this month the ladies celebrate my B-day and I wasn't about to miss that.   
I found an entree. 
Holy Moly, Mole! 





Ah! Mexican chocolate, peanut butter, cinnamon con pollo!











It's your Birthday!

        

      I had a small predicament those few days.  The rent was due while I was gone to San Diego.  I figured I would simply write a check on Monday and hand it in at the management office.             Unfortunately, with being sick on Monday I couldn't get out and forgot to call.  The manager called and left a message late in the day to say the check needed to be in by 9 tomorrow morning or it would be a $20 penalty and $5 each day after.  
     I figured I would write a check, take it down and slip in the mail slot at the office.  BUT......I was out of checks....completely out of checks.  How did that happen?  I rummaged through 2 drawers and 5 packs of check receipts, hoping there would be a lone, overlooked unused check.  Nope.  
    I called the office the next morning to explain and to state that I will bring in a check on whatever day I felt up to getting to the bank.  After a bit of a scolding the manager said he would drop the extra charges, but get it in as soon as possible.
   So....today (Wed.) after lunch I got into Ted and cautiously turned on the ignition hoping it would start. (Last time I left Ted for a week he wouldn't start. )  Yeah,  he started...
   Off to the bank to request some checks until I can get a new order.  Checks at the bank?  Well, normally, but... they are out and won't get any more for about 10 days.  Say, What?   Really?  Do you provide money orders?  No.  Where can I get one?  (No cash accepted for rent payments.)  Fred Meyers, you say?  Well, one stroke of luck, I need to go there anyway.  
   No big deal to get a money order at Freddy's.  Got my shopping done and headed home to drop it off at the office post slot.  
   End of the day....today was a great day.  I got out of the house after 4 days, had a fun free (well, prepaid through the year) lunch and visit with friends, got free checks ordered, my rent paid, bought a bag of "non genetic engineered" potato chips, my nose has stopped dripping and I'm snuggled into a warm house for the evening.  Ah, life is good!
    What do folks do when they don't have odd little predicaments in their life to spice up their days?
__________________________________

     After a very rainy Thursday, Friday was a bit less rainy.  With a trip to the chiropractor and then a haircut I settled in for a quiet evening at home. Shortly after, Deb called to say Amanda was bringing Rosie over to their house and I was welcome to come over.  Headed over about 5:30.  

      First burgers on the grill of 2017.



 Hanging out with curious, balding active #1 great grand baby, Rosie....

"Whatta ya mean, balding?"

Ah, 5 dotting grandparents and one Rosie....


Lovely full "snow" moon to greet the night...

Fun, surprise evening out....




____________________________


Get Thee to the Nunnery!

       Late Saturday morning 10 of us ladies from the park set out the Columbia River Gorge for the annual Valentine's Day fund raiser salad lunch at the convent of the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist.  
     It was somewhat unsure during the week if the sisters would have the lunch since the Gorge has been bombarded with snow, cold and ice.  But the recent warm up cleared off the roads and most of the snow.  
 









We arrived early for our 1 PM lunch so David, our greeter, took us up the back hill to view Coopy Falls.  He didn't know how that name come about, but the falls was fun to observe and photograph.  





My favorite whatever tree...

With a touch of sunshine...   








Ready to win my grand prize!


   


                                                  My grand prize...

At some point when Sister was calling out prize numbers she also announced that there was an accident on Hwy 84 blocking the return to Portland.  The road was closed; folks need to go back on the old historic highway.
       My friend. Sue, and I rode out together and so we headed out along the old road.  It took us past Vista House lookout high above the Columbia River.  Oops....there is a sign that states, "ROAD CLOSED".  Ooops....
Now what?  There actually was no choice.
After a photo op,we had to return to where we started, continue on past and continue farther down to cross the Bridge of the gods and backtrack on the Washington side of the river to return to Vancouver.  The GPS lady was still saying that traffic is stopped on Hwy 84 west.  
      Along we drive about 8 miles, arriving at Multnomah Falls and continue west to the bridge.  Oooooops, the road is closed. 
CLOSED.   Now what?   There is no choice except to get on 84 with the stopped traffic.  That we did.  The result?  The accident had been cleared and the traffic flowing just fine by the time we arrived at the questionable location.    
     Moral of the predicament....better to drive back and forth  viewing scenery than to sit an hour in stopped traffic.  

This has been a good 7 "odd predicaments" days in the life of Grandma G. 

      
"Above all, love each other deeply, for love covers over a  multitude of sins." 
 (1 Peter 4:8) 

No comments:

Post a Comment