Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The End of An Era....Post Views...30,264

           On March 4, at 104 years old,  Grandma Rose, Lou's mom, passed on to eternal life.  She was a life long resident of Park Falls, WI.  Raised 8 children, nurtured several grand and great grandchildren and was a friend to numerous folks.
    She came often to our home on short notice to help out or to give me a break while I visited Indianapolis.  Our 7 children were privileged to interact with her for many years.  She taught me how to make the famous dumplings and sour gravy meal that so many enjoy.      
We will miss you, 
Grandma Rose!!








Here's a little something to honor Gram Rose and Wisconsin.   
How I remember enjoying those Friday night fish fries!
Until I discovered my terrible Saturday headaches came from that delicious fish consumed on Friday night....
Wisconsin Historical Society

Fish Fry Fridays, 1997-2010

Enlarge
In Wisconsin, Friday fish fry dinners are a ubiquitous tradition. Aficionados are always looking for new venues. Why are Wisconsin fish fry events emblematic? Early German Catholic settlers in Wisconsin made use of the region's abundant supply of fish because they were prohibited from eating meat on Fridays. Over the decades, local cooks across the state experimented with making a simple menu uniquely their own.
Today a typical fish fry menu consists of beer-battered fried perch, bluegill, walleye or catfish, or cod brought in from the East Coast. The fish is served with tartar sauce, French fries or German-style potato pancakes, coleslaw, and rye bread.
Jim and Shirley Widmer once traveled 235 miles to go to a fish fry. Their journeys have led them to diners, bars, country clubs, veterans’ organizations and churches all over Wisconsin. During the course of their 13-year adventure, the Widmers experienced more than 450 unique fish fry events in Wisconsin....
From a friend submitted on FaceBook
______________________________________

       Another week has passed! They say time goes faster as one gets on in years.  I must be getting on in years.  The weeks seem like they are reduced to 3 days rather than 7.  I will back up to let you know that I have been occupied, though not with blogging.
           
      Wednesday March 1, I finally got back to the dentist to get a crown prep on a tooth that has been postponed several times because of sicknesses or scheduling.  
      It was a 2 hour session.  It's start was not as traumatic as I thought it would be, but it seemed to go on forever and I needed additional shots of freezing.  The dentist was kind to me, even giving me a hot pack for the back of my neck and a pillow.   
      When I got home I sat awhile and enjoyed some hot butternut
squash soup and ice cream with chocolate while watching the first of The Lord of the Rings.  Soon a nap took over and for the next 2 hours I occasionally heard the movie in the background while in my sleep I could picture what was happening.  A big post dental smile!!
     With the excuse that I was tired from the recent PT exercises, the large dose of anesthetic, the stress of the dental procedure and general body shivers I simply gave myself permission to take the day off from exercise and to chill out for the rest of the day.  
     Sure felt good, but now tomorrow I have to get back into schedule.   
________________________
   
Thursday morning's weather forecast and that of the next several days looks like it's in the wrong time zone!  What are all those snowflakes doing in March in the PNW??



Anyone know what this is?  It was at a local resale shop. My Aunt Emma used one quite often about 60 years ago.....
It is a mangle.  All our sheets and pillowcases needed to be run through this before they could go back on the beds.  I think almost everything wearable was wrung through this giant roller....I don't think I ever operated it, but don't remember.  

Who knows what stones these are?   I didn't.  Didn't even know there was such a stone.....kinda a light emerald green.  
They are Gala stone from compressed Mt. St. Helen's ash from the eruption in 1980....
Shows we can still be beautiful, though we might feel like ashes under great pressure!!


Friday evening I got to hang out with great grand daughter, Rosie (Grandma Rose's name lives on).
Dinner with the Miller gang and extended family.



 Saturday after water aerobics and with very rainy weather I thought it was time to start sorting boxes that have sat in closets for the past 4&1/2 years.  This one contains several filled albums, many not started albums, a box of pictures and misc. frames.   
Came across a photo of a Christmas photo from 48 years ago.

Debbie (just turned 50) and 
baby Gerry.....

Precious pictures....



'Tis the season for movies.



Sunday, Debbie treated Carole and me to view LaLa Land.  
After, we agreed that the menfolk would not have enjoyed it.  The girls' afternoon was fun, sitting in the parlor room at the theater, eating our lunch while in LaLa Land.... 

     Monday passed quickly with 2 hours physical therapy, followed by 2 hours of grocery shopping therapy (trying to figure best sale buys to spend $50 in order to use a $10 off coupon). I tried SO hard to come as close to $50 and not more, but somehow ended up with close to $60.  Came home with a bunch of Safeway Monopoly cards!  
      The evening passed with 4 hours attending a ladies' (and men's)
Aglow meal and meeting not too far from my home.  Busy day....

     Tuesday I went to the movie The Shack with ladies from my neighborhood.  I wasn't sure about going but had heard many good reports about the book and the movie.  It is a difficult subject, but the resolution was wonderfully presented.  Great movie. The story takes place here in the PNW.  It was odd to see scenery of Maltnomah Falls and the highway near there, now that I have been there several times.  

     And now it is Wednesday, March 8.  Chiropractor appointment to go along with my back and shoulder redo.  


Watch a "far out" fantasy on Star Trek while sorting out the winning Monopoly pieces....
Ahhhh....Life doesn't get much better....add a little chicken and mashed potatoes ...







 This has been a good 7 "end of an era" days in the life of Grandma G.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me [Jesus]...to comfort all who mourn, to provide for those who grieve in Zion---to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."  (Isaiah 61: 1 & 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment