Thursday, August 7, 2014

That's A No Brainer...Post Views.....12,365



      Would you believe it?  
A cell phone/airplane tale.....

       On Tuesday I was checking in for my Wisconsin flight.  About midway a message came up.  Do I want to be put on a volunteer to be bumped list?  What is my bid for compensation....$200, $300, $400 or $500 in flying voucher?  They will take the lesser amount bidders first.  Well, I thought, a ticket is at least $400.  That is what I put in for.  I could take "a bump".  (It was also my first time accessing a mobile phone ticket.)
      I went to sleep that night with visions of sugar plums and $400 flying vouchers dancing in my head. That was after I remembered to call my granddaughter to make sure she would pick me up earlier so to be "first in line" at the check in desk at the airport. 
       Like any kid on Christmas day I woke early in anticipation of my present, already wondering where the flying voucher will take me in the coming months.  I quickly finished up last minute packing and securing the house in order to be ready when Angie came.
       On arriving at the airport we observed a large traffic jam caused by remodeling...how to get to the curbside check-in and how for me to manage 2 suitcases and 2 personal items and a snack bag all by myself.   Manage I did with the help of a friendly baggage attendant who happened to be walking by.
       Once inside it was a quick trip through security compliments of "prescreened".  I was at the gate almost 2 hours early....even before an earlier flight was processed and sent on its way. 
       There were a few other early travelers (hoping for a bump? I wondered).  I could feel that voucher safely in my hands; could anticipate calling Angie to pick me up and head out to the county fair to spend my "extra day".  
       Finally the lady said she was ready to process the flight into Minneapolis.  A few travelers got in front of me, but soon it was my turn to be called up....the moment I had been waiting for.  Yeah!
I calmly explained my willingness for a bump and that I was already on the volunteer list.  She graciously thanked me for my willingness to help out then went on to explain that though this is a completely full flight she didn't think there will be a need for bumping.   But I should wait around.  I told her I would because I am already checked in for this flight. (duh)  
      While I was waiting I snacked on some organic cantaloupe I didn't want to waste. (That caught the refined olfactory senses of folks who are into organics.)  I also rummaged through my purse that was large enough to house too many items and checked out items stuffed into my computer bag while texting updates to Angie and Debbie.  At one point a lady stopped by me and kindly reminded me not to forget my cell phone that was sitting on the chair next to me.  I thanked her while thinking "that's a no brainer". 
       I kept my anticipation of the coveted voucher up until they called my section for boarding.  So having finally given up my sugar plum dream I collected my stuff and boarded.   
       Since there was time while waiting on the plane I thought to text Angie to say goodbye and that the fair will have to wait until next year.  Once again it was "rummaging through my too big of purse" time.   I rummaged once and then again and then again all the while hearing the announcement that the boarding door is about to be closed.  No more rummaging. I fought my way against the stream of oncoming passengers and frantically hollered at the attendant that I think I left my phone in the airport.  She wouldn't let me leave but intercommed someone at the gate to look for a phone.  He found it on a chair (the one next to where I used to be) and rushed it down just as the door was being closed.  Don't forget my phone? That is a no brainer.   Duh.   Oops. 
________________________________________
    The rest of the travel day went well.  Though a long flight, the time passed quickly as I watched most of The Lord of the Rings on my computer while I was snuggled in the middle seat.  It was my first experience of closing myself off to the rest of my world to watch a movie on my personal computer....my personal electronic devise.    Oh, and snacking on thin sliced sausage and crackers and then cheese spreed and crackers and 2 small Styrofoam cups with hot tea.....Ah, the good life.
      Chuck picked me up from the Milwaukee airport.  Time to enjoy my southern Wisconsin families for a few days.   

    This has been a good 2 "cell phone/airplane tale" days in the life of Grandma G.

      "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."  (Proverbs 16:9)
          
       
      

No comments:

Post a Comment