Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Quiet End of Summer....Post Views....20,147

I went for a late afternoon walk this almost last day of summer.  The sun was bright and warm.  The breeze was quite chilly.  

I didn't start out intending to walk an hour, but I did.



And almost 3 miles.  Refreshing time outside.....


If you are a pansy.....                      If you are a crow......
Face the sun....                               Sway in the tree top.....


It is on days like this that I miss the quiet open highlands of northern Wisconsin and the beauty of Lake Superior.  













_________________________________
Price Fixing?

    I have a fondness for Yorkshire Gold tea.  I buy it several boxes at a time online.  I need a new supply so I checked the Delta sky mall to see if there is a store that offers flying miles for orders.  I did find a well known chain.  They offered a box of 80 tea bags for 
$34.00.  Yikes......
    I went back to the site I buy it from for $10 a box......
_______________________________

When ya crave old time comfort food on Tuesday.....
This recipe was hand copied by me 40 some years ago.  A recipe from my Aunt Emma.  A chunk of ham cut up, browned, mixed with carrots, potatoes, peas and cream of mushroom soup. Baked an hour.  Yum!!







      And when ya crave homemade peach pie on Wednesday, ya buy unripe peaches on Saturday (on sale) and put them in the trusty brown bag to ripen. 
     Then ya look up the perfect recipe, checking old time cookbooks and modern online baking sites.   Then ya combine two recipes into what ya really want.   



Prepping the peaches....soak them in hot water and the skin nicely peals off.  (I learned that many years ago in the busy years of home canning.  Peaches were my favorite.)

This recipe calls for a bit of lemon rind and lemon juice.
I've had  hard time figuring out how to keep a supply of lemon on hand.  Finally I found "True Lemon".....crystallized lemon that won't go bad....simply sprinkle on or mix with a little water.   

Also wanted a "crumb" top rather than regular crust.. 

The result of all this??   
A crumb topped lemony peach pie.....a bit too much "True Lemon".....left in the oven a little too long....
peachy and tangy.....yummy....
And a regular crust one to share with someone.....













     I don't routinely comment on the news, but this is worthy.  
Today Yogi Berra passed on at 90 years old.  I did not know that Yogi Bear was named after him.   I do know that one of my life's slogans is....
"It  Ain't Over Till It's Over."   Thanks, Yogi.....


A fluffy little bird came for a sit in the garage rain gutter....
Don't know what kind he is....flew off as quietly as he sat there













This has been a good 3 "quiet end of summer" days in the life of Grandma G.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul."  (Psalm 23: 1-3)


No comments:

Post a Comment