Friday, September 18, 2015

She Danced the Polka, She Did.....Post Views...20,067


     Part of one....and part of a waltz.   Seemed like I was back in Wisconsin, except no one at this event actually knew how to polka or waltz. One brave gentleman allowed me to instruct him and then we did quite nicely together.  Neither one of us had enough stamina for a full dance.  

Even had some folks snapping pictures of us!









For a brief time I was back in Park Falls, WI listening to my friends, Frank and Jeff, cutt'in some lively polkas on their drums and accordion. 



    The event was the First Annual Oktoberfest in Ridgefield, WA.  I love those "first annual" events.  The town's main nationality seems to be Norwegian, but, hey, I guess they are entitled to a polka dance or two.  (But, then, nobody knew how to dance them.) And the band appeared to be a travelling one that plays various Oktoberfests.   



      My friend, Kahana, invited me to ride with her as she wanted to support one of her friends in her grand opening of an antique and craft shop in Ridgefield.   

I have a potato masher much the same as the smaller one, but I had never seen this industrial, logging camp sized one!!
         Haven't see a brick chimney since
since moving out of my "literally" old house in Park Falls.  This chimney is much smaller and in better shape.... 


 Kahana found her man!!













I think the rosemaling bird and flower on the left of the mural is a bit of a give away of the town's Norwegian heritage..

We checked out the main street in this little touristy town.....





An old time church turned restaurant, blues lounge and general event venue.  

Chess, anyone?





Great spot for a wedding or a reception 




















       A slice of American culture and enterprise...




Every community festival needs the crafters' market.....

air plants are my new interest...they grow near tops of trees and are watered by the mist

                
                         Start of the autumn transformation!!



      We only visited for a couple hours since Kahana had another afternoon outing to try out a golf lesson.  I was ready to go home and sit in air conditioning as the temps climbed into the high 80's.  
Lots of fun......
________________________________________

  Sunday afternoon I walked an hour, racking up 3.40 miles...Yeah for me.   When I can comfortably do 4 miles I can look into joining the Forever Young hikers....on their easy hikes.

    It appears that even in their maturity my boys still like to play in the mud.   Al, the muddy one, endured his first "tough mudder" this past Sunday.  Burt has survived his 3rd.  Son, Chuck, has done a couple and is secure in his manhood.  There is a "tough mudder" in San Diego next autumn.  Already these Wisconsin guys are talking of meeting their 2 Cali brothers and all 5 bros flaunting their manly strength together....even inviting their mother (the original "tough mudder") to watch and cheer them on.   Maybe......
_____________________________ 
Sometimes you just have to give in......go to the store, buy lots of cheese and hamburger, noodles....make that pan of lasagna.....

Eat it while digesting the Republican Candidates' Presidential debate.....

But also freeze some for quick meals later on.....



                      Happiness is getting up to clean dishes in the morning.....Yah!!





This has been a good 6 polka/lasagna days in the life of Grandma G.

"You [Jesus] turned my wailing into dancing, you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever."
(Psalm 30: 11 & 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment