Tuesday, November 12, 2013

11/12/13....Nifty Date....Post Views 8839

      This is simply a fun date that you won't ever see again.  Enjoy.

      Friday Flashback....

       I got myself up early to be at the senior center for a day trip to Astoria, OR. near the coast.  It is an historic seaport city located at the mouth of the Columbia River.
       When we left Vancouver at 8AM the weather was rainy and chilly.  It stayed that way most of the 2 hour drive.  While we were there the sun came out and the temperature cool, but pleasant to me.



         4.1 mile long Astoria bridge in the background.....the longest continuous truss bridge in USA.
It is located 14 miles from the mouth of the Columbia River that empties into the Pacific Ocean.
 This area is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific because of the turbulent water in the area as vessels are trying to come up into the Columbia River.


  Some of the many ship wrecks markers......





 A lightship that used to be equipped with a warning light for ships....they are now on buoys powered by solar batteries.





The length of the rope to climb onto large vessels from the "pilot" ship used to guide them through the sand bars















                                                       A BIT of MODERN HISTORY



Barges on the Columbia River, 
waiting for their cargo in Portland or Longview.  



New Friends, Julia and Dottie,
one is 90 and one is 90&1/2
I won't tell which is which....



We stopped at the Silver Salmon Saloon for lunch.  My new friends were not impressed with my artistic skills......


This is what Grandma G wants for Christmas.  Anyone know what this is?
Hint, it is NOT chocolate





____________________________________
      Unfortunately I have been lazy again.  These past 3 days have passed fairly routinely.  I function on a lower energy level when home alone. Watched a couple old movies, Planet of the Apes and Annie.  Have been plowing through endless paperwork.   
      On Monday Carole invited me to lunch with her to a Thai Restaurant. I was glad to go, otherwise I would have spent the day traumatized by the realization I need to have a back upper molar removed very soon.  Like it is going to happen next Monday. I've tried very hard to keep it, but after heavy-duty "repair" work I've reluctantly decided to have it out.  Yikes.  

     This has been a good 3 "fairly routine" days in the life of Grandma G.

    "Others went out on the sea in ships; they were merchants on the mighty waters.  They saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep."  (Psalms 107:23&24)

No comments:

Post a Comment