Saturday, November 23, 2013

Busy Days......Post Views 9005!


       Grandma G has had 2 very busy days....

       At 6 PM I ventured out into the almost dark, chilly weather to go...shopping.  With not having been out much all week, even the cold air was refreshing.  
      There were extra sales for the evening at Freddy's where I shop the most.  So that was my Friday outing until 10 PM.  With Thanksgiving so close there was plenty of grocery buying to do.    


        something new to Grandma G...... Brussel sprouts still on their stems..... I'll need to buy some sometime  
YUMMY.......I think, Sweet Potato Pie,  I've never tasted one....hope it's yummy
       Earlier in the day I spent a few hours at the piano.  Last year the lady in charge of our neighborhood Thanksgiving dinner asked me when I arrived if I would play the piano while people were waiting for the meal.  I did play, but not well since I hadn't actually been at a piano since moving here a few months earlier.  SO.......
I decided to practice a bit in case I was called on again to play.  I put together a medley of folk songs and a few patriotic ones.  This was after I researched "Turkey in the Straw"....how the melody goes.  After all, Mr. (or Ms) Turkey is the guest of honor (though Mr or Ms probably doesn't realize it).   I came up with a list of about 8 tunes to fill about 25 minutes.  (I also composed a fun one titled "Pumpkin Pie", but decided that will be for some other occasion and just play familiar ones at this gathering.)

       Part of the purpose of shopping Friday evening was to get Thanksgiving cards to send to my families.  The ones heading "east", that is, to the mid west need a few days to get there and be delivered before Thanksgiving Day.  
_______________________________________

       Saturday morning dawned, or at least by mid morning, was sunny and blue skies.  I jumped out of bed and headed to the piano for some last minute practice.  Today was the day of our neighborhood turkey dinner.  Even if I didn't play for the "pre-meal" I was having fun entertaining myself.  
      I also needed to get 5 Thanksgiving cards written out by noon so that they would be in today's mail.  Got those done and to the mailbox a block away.  It was a pleasant surprise to have warm weather.  
      Next was to hurry back to make deviled eggs (still don't know why they are called that) for our dinner.  Now I say dinner though it is served and eaten at 4 PM.....senior citizens, you know.  And a number of folks are at the club house by 3 to get the choice seats.  
      So at 3:15 with the eggs in my hand, a coat on my back and folk songs in my head I set out for the club house.  It wasn't exactly "Over the river and through the woods", but the goal was the same.  

      And.....I simply sat down at the piano and played for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes in all.  Nobody seemed to pay attention to me, but I guess that's how it goes when you are background music.  Several folks did say later, that they enjoyed it very much.  I did get some round about encouragement for my studio.  One lady said that when her son moved out here to start a business it took him 3 years to get established.  It takes awhile, she said.  I will remember that. (smile)
      This meal was quite enjoyable to me.  Last year I was a stranger to all the people.  This year I know many of them and feel part of the community.  That is a lot to be thankful for.  
      After dinner it was time to hurry home to clean up the kitchen and cook for another pot luck tomorrow at church.  This time it was going to be "cheesy party potatoes". They are now cooling in the kitchen.  
      With those baked and some blogging accomplished it is......
 time for bed.

      This has been a good 2 busy days in the life of Grandma G.

      "Sing to the Lord a new song, sing to the Lord all the earth.  Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples."  (Psalms 96:1-3) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment