Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Olympic Inspiration....Post Views 10,209

       As I was watching the Olympic games yesterday and observing the young athletes I was taken by their enthusiasm.  Even those who did not do as well as they hoped talked of hoping more. They looked to the future and how they could improve, of how they can learn from the difficulties, of how they can go on to try new techniques, approaches, skills, programs.  They were completely enjoying and appreciating the moment, even if the results weren't what they hoped. The injuries, surgeries and sicknesses of the past and present did not hold them back from accomplishing what they loved.  
     I thought about most of us older folks who settle into routine, the ordinary, the comfortable, the familiar, the safe, as life goes on. How marvelous it would be if we could maintain an Olympic attitude throughout life....doing what we love, always seeking a new adventure or skill, determining to "keep the energy flowing" (that alone is Olympic, for those of us who know what I am talking about) 
    I think we....at least those of us in America....have to get past the mentality that when we past "our prime" we are through.  First of all, what age is "our prime"?  So much of my growing up has put focus on "being elderly" as one reaches Social Security age.  In my mind "elderly" is an honorable title for those who approach their 90th Birthday.  I don't want to be "elderly" until then.  
   For me it is a battle and attitude of mind and self-perspective.  It is true that I have gotten a bit out of focus the past 18 months with having moved cross country and developing a new life.  But I believe there is a lot of life still waiting to be discovered and developed.   
    Anyway, I admire the energy and "looking forward" that these Olympic athletes have and determine to learn fresh motivation from them.   
_________________________________________________

 I went for a walk this afternoon and thought I had been transported to the Olympics.
But then I realized the name of the  venue is SOCHI---NOT----SLUSHI.









"You see, Gentlemen, I told you they would get their heads above snow once again." 


                  Ah.....the wonders of the Pacific Northwest......   
"Wait a few hours and that white stuff will melt away...."



the rose bush will start budding...








                           A Robin will sing of spring......

    And Grandma G will wonder at 11PM if a water pipe has burst when she hears the flow of water all around the house and it is not raining.  She wondered so much that she put on boots and a coat and with a flashlight in hand headed outside to see.  It was the snow on the roof quickly melting and rushing across the gutters and onto the ground.  Ah...the PNW. 

  This has been a good 2 Olympic and snow melting days in the life of Grandma G.  

      "The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green." (Psalm 92:14)

       

No comments:

Post a Comment