Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Family Time.....



             Saturday morning Zach and I drove to Portland airport to pick up Burt who arrived at 8:30.  Zach and I had been up until 1AM Friday night (Sat AM) and Burt had gotten up at 4 AM so I figured we  had 3 hours of sleep overnight. (Burt had 2 "hard working" days of golf and salmon fishing in Medford, OR.) We were all rather tired, but adrenalin carried us through the day. I was excited to have Burt visit from Wisconsin and see my new home. 
             We met up with the Millers to watch Jake play football.  The weather had started out chilly and rainy, but by noon the sun had burned off the clouds and the temperature turned almost hot.
Jake's team lost, but he played a great game.   






Jake, #47.       Zach and Uncle Burt
          After the game we agreed to meet for a late lunch.  Deb had shopping to do with Mick.  I, also, had some shopping----A QUEST.    Just the past 2 days Zach helped me set up "atmosphere" on my back deck, so we could enjoy it over the weekend.  The brightness of the sun in the afternoon is a problem.  I had found a patio furniture umbrella on clearance, but no stand.  I so wanted to have one that day.  Burt spent part of his visit here helping me look for a stand.  This time of year, whatever may have been left over has found its way back to the warehouse.  Turns out we didn't sit on the deck until 7:30PM at which point the sun was not even an issue anymore.  I have my umbrella and now plenty of time to find a suitable stand--some other time.

Burt substituting for an umbrella stand


Back to lunch......at Buffalo Wild Wings
and a Dr. Seuss evergreen tree



Burt, Grandma G, Mick, Zach, Deb, Keys, Jake

AND......WING (WO)MAN.....                      Happy B-day to Bill
                                                                        (with nephew Jude)

        The evening brought 9 of  us together to eat again at my house. (It was Bill's B-day; I told him we would party without him.)  And by 9AM Sunday Zach was driving Burt back to the airport to catch his flight to Wisconsin.  Burt was impressed with my little house and, I think, felt more secure about having his mom live so far away out here in the Pacific Northwest.  
_____________________________________________________________

        And by Sunday Grandma G was plum tuckered out.  After church service I came home, slept for 2 hours then spent 3-11 PM watching a marathon of a new series based on rural British life in the late, 19th century.   
         Monday brought a fresh resolve to get order and routine back into my life----after sleeping in a bit.  I got the laundry done and a 30 minute walk before preparing for my one piano lesson.   I also did do some online research for an upcoming family excursion happening in late October.  More on that in late October.  
          I am excited to have Grandma G's teaching studio set up.  Later Monday evening I sent out information to have advertising post cards made up.  I am ready to start building up my clientele.     


_______________________________________________________________

     Tuesday brought it's own set of adventures.  After 9 AM  water aerobics I stayed for tea and visiting with the ladies.  It was my first occasion.  They all seemed genuinely happy to have me join them.   We chatted about the cost of medical care, computer and telephone fraud and how none of us can eat much sugary foods anymore.  I felt like I was starting to blend in and simply be part of the neighborhood......and a friend. 
Very Nice.

      I went for a 2 mile walk this afternoon before the showers set in.  I still have a goal of becoming part of the elite senior hiking  group, but can't until I can walk 4 miles without strain.  That would cover an "easy" hike.  The group hikes every Tuesday with a shuttle taking them to various locations throughout Washington and Oregon.  I think that before I had the heart oblation done 2 years ago, my heart wasn't up to physical exertion.  So now I am healthy, but not as fit as maybe I could be.  This area of the Pacific Northwest is very conducive to getting fit.  Probably won't be ready for a hike until spring.     




            
         This has been a good 3 "moving forward" days in the life of Grandma G.

     "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones."  (Proverbs 15:30)   










No comments:

Post a Comment