Saturday, September 28, 2013

The White Car Club.....

      That's it, Folks.  That is the big news.  Grandma G has become a member of the White Car Club!

                                                            It's not new, but it is to me.  
             A 2005 Hyundai Tuscon with lots of miles on it, but should serve me well for a long time.

         I was out for a walk last Sunday evening, when this little fellow caught my eye.  He was parked in the park. (Ha, Ha) in a driveway not far from here.  He had my name written all over him.   After some discussion with the owner and a short drive, I really wanted to get it.  However, I did agonize a number of hours if I could make the purchase possible.  You see the decision.
        Friday, Ted and I went to the banks to finalize the deal.  We shook hands and agreed we both want a good reputation since we both live in the same park and know where each other lives.
        Within a few hours I had new plates to put on the car and an appointment to purchase insurance from a lady who moved here from Indianapolis.  (I am eager to meet her, just to talk Indianapolis.)
         I was then on my way to Fred Meyers for some shopping therapy....groceries, plus checking out the clothing sales.  It was mainly a business stop since I hung up some fliers advertising Grandma G's studio.  Finally.
_____________________________________________________

        A Saturday Grandma G misadventure.....
         On Friday evening I parked my "old" car  about a block away in the visitors parking spaces.  There is room for only one car in my driveway.  I don't normally lock the car, but this time I did since it was a block away.   I went to bed feeling good about the new white SUV in my driveway.   Come Saturday morning I decided to go to water aerobics since I missed all week.  Also decided to drive the SUV.  I proudly got the SUV driver's key and headed out to the club house.  Once there I realized I didn't have the club house key to get in.  No one was in the office since it was the weekend.  Neither were there other latecomers around that could open the door for me.  So I figured I would drive back home to get the club house key.
OOPS.  The house was locked and I didn't bring the key.  OOPS.  The other car that held the other house key was also locked.  OOPS.  I couldn't even make a phone call cause all my stuff was locked in my house. What to do?  What to do?   I hadn't gotten the license plates put on the SUV yet and there was no insurance on it.  Yet the only option was to drive to Debbie's house and hope they were home and still had the spare keys I gave them almost a year ago.
           I didn't want to get out on the road with the SUV yet, but there were no other options.  Fortunately I arrived at Deb's house--a 20 minute drive--without incident or being pulled over.  Sissy was just pulling in with her car.  (She was excited about Gram's new car.)  Once I got in the house Deb was wondering what I was doing there.  Had I come just in time to go to Jake's football game with them?  NOPE.  I'm looking for a key to get into my house.  After some hassle Sissy found the spare key.  Within a few minutes they were both out their door to go into Portland and then Jake's game.   Had I arrived 10-15 minutes later they would have been gone.  OOPS. But it's OK cause they were still home.  They invited me to ride along but I was eager to get back to my little home without any SUV  incidents.  That I did......and stayed in the rest of the day.
          I stayed in partly because we are having an early PNW winter storm.  Translated that means RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, and more RAIN......and in this event.....hard winds.   As long as I didn't have to get out and drive in it, it still isn't as gnarly as an early Northern Wisconsin snow storm.


         It was a productive stay in day.  I found all my shoes that came along from Wisconsin, but were still hidden away in large black plastic bags.   I've been out to stores looking at shoes and boots to find the perfect ones for various weather scenarios.  And also ones that are therapeutic for the neuroma on my right foot.  In Wisconsin one had to prepare for cold, snow and ice.  Here one has to prepare for....RAIN.  Anyway, now my closet floor looks like it could be catering to a centipede.  Also cleaned up the kitchen, washed dishes and the laundry.   The rain is still coming down abundantly, even late into this night.  They say that's what it does out here in the PNW.

      This has been a good 2 "new, used white SUV" days in the life of Grandma G.

      "As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat.  His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool."  (Daniel 7:9)

         

No comments:

Post a Comment