Friday, March 7, 2014

The Rest of the Story.......Post Views 10,466

 A few days ago,my sister, Kate, sent me this article from the Duluth, MN newspaper in late August, 1959.  Almost 55 years ago.  I was 12 at the time.  What the article doesn't explain is that I was feeling my "girl scout" prowess and told the other two that I had hiked up the right side of the river a few years before; that there is a bridge crossing over so we can walk back the other side.  
      What I didn't know was that particular bridge had been washed out and never rebuilt.  
You need to see the pictures after the article to understand what happened.     

 The summer had been exceptionally rainy, so the trails, and "subtrails" were very wet and slippery.

While waiting on the river bank Father Conway tried to light some paper money to start a small fire but even that was too damp to ignite.  
 About 3 in the morning I started seeing things "fly in the air", such as pigs and a tractor.  Hmmm.....white silhouettes.   



After the rescue Father Conway said he was concerned for snakes.  Yikes, glad I didn't think of that.  I was merely afraid of bears.




What I remember most is how utterly black the night was.  We could hear the rushing water, but didn't know how close we were so dared not walk around. 
  































This picture shows a river emptying into another and forming a pie shaped large area of land in between.  We were walking on the right side of the river before the one emptied into it (far lower left area on picture).  We followed a trail that continued on to the right side on the river flowing in (lower right corner of picture).   When we found a bridge and crossed we were in the middle wedge of land between the 2 rivers and headed farther into the woods rather than returning to the park.  Another view......

Shortly after our rescue, I turned in my girl scout uniform and sash......

Thanks, Kate, for the article and walk down memory lane.....make that memory trails.    
____________________________________
    I continue to fight whatever sinus virus that has gripped me.  Hopefully it will clear up in a day or two.

   Thursday I made chicken dumpling soup..  Yum....
One can eat it right handed or left handed.  yummy either way....


Friday was a good day to "do taxes".  Tried to do my own for the first time.  Don't like the results.  Gonna get some professional advice.  

Also went for a short walk...
took a photo of spring.....






A friend of mine posted a photo of spring in Park Falls, WI.   A smooth transition from Christmas to Easter..... 





First week of March in PF, WI




My grandson, Devin, (on right) playing with Christian youth band, "Without Excuse"




Daughter, Angie, "Dorothy"
Son, Gerry, "Scarecrow" in 
Wizard of Oz high school play
about 25 years ago 




   This has been a good 2 "sick time/rest of the story" days in the life of Grandma G.

    "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."  (Psalms 4 & 5)





No comments:

Post a Comment