Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Park Falls Adventures....Post Views....13,235

      On Sept. 1 I finally got to head up to Park Falls.   Al came down to visit Lou and then drove me back to PF.  I felt a bit sick that day, but it passed by Tuesday.   That evening my 3 siblings from Indianapolis came up to join me for a few days.   
    Louie said I could drive his smaller sized red truck.  He had his house mate "clean" it out for me.  The cleaning left a little more to do, but I appreciated the vehicle.  There was one glitch......the heater was permanently on.  That was his choice since the heater/air conditioner didn't work.  It was cheaper to do some setting that kept the heater going than to repair whatever had to be repaired.  Anyway, winter is longer than summer in northern Wisconsin.  But......come 80 plus degree weather....it was imperative to keep the windows open.  All was fine except one morning I was driving it into town.  The weather was chilly so the windows were rolled up.  I drove a couple miles when a horrible smell something akin to rotten Limburger cheese wafted through the truck.  I quickly rolled down the windows.  It smelled so bad I thought maybe a little critter had rotted under the hood.  Having kept the windows open all the way into town, the smell had subsided by the time I met up with the lady friends I was having lunch with.  Gratefully, I didn't notice the odor the next few days.  The last day of being in PF I was riding with my brother as we passed the area where I experienced the awful smell.  There it was again!!  It was coming from the farm field....the soil in a particular level of decomposing.  Sorry, Lou, for suspecting your truck.....  
ENJOY A PHOTO STORY OF OUR VISIT.....   



John checking out the Flambeau River, flowing past Burt and Jen's cabin.

Waiting out one of two major storms.....


More damage in Park Falls....









.

Taking a selfie on a windy day at Hines Park.....
my favorite place to walk in Park Falls.....




Five Siblings in a row.....youngest of 11

Kate, John, Georgia, Nick and Betty....
(Nick..sitting.. is enduring Picks disease)


Waiting for a wild game of Mexican Train Dominoes....


















Louie's mom, Rose, at almost 101 years

                                                                                                            Old time washing machine....
Having dumpling lunch at what time(?) in a local restaurant....Us and Nick's wife, Sandy....



On cold winter nights when the wind blows from the north, visitors in this cabin may catch a glimpse of Katie ghost......
sitting, sitting, sitting....waiting to play Mexican Train Dominoes..


The original sign and business establishment I experienced when I first came to northern Wisconsin 58 years ago at the age of 9......in Fifield, WI.  We would hang onto our Uncle Mike's tractor when he would drive 5-10 miles from his farm into Fifield on Sundays.



An afternoon at Copper Falls State Park..

What became of my little music store?



This.....
Wisconsin country side.....

      It had been over a year since my last visit to Park Falls.  I didn't visit everyone I wanted to, but enjoyed the company of those I did.  This time of year is reasonably good weather.  So....here's to NOT visiting again until another winter has come and gone from the frosty north.  Make that early June, 2015.  

   This has been a good "recalling PF adventures" day in the life of Grandma G.

     "The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God--he and his whole family." (Acts 16: 34) 

No comments:

Post a Comment