Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Grand Canyon West Rim ..... Post Views 8581

      Monday morning at 5:45 I headed out to the west rim of the Grand Canyon with a tour group.  I was on a nice large,comfortable bus with an informative and entertaining tour guide. We were served a continental breakfast. (We returned to our hotels about 5 PM.) 
      The west rim is the property of the Hualapai Tribe Native Americans.  They have recently opened up their land for tourism.   They have erected the "sky walk" where folks can walk out over the canyon to get a bird's eye view.  At the last minute I decided to do the walk.  It was a fabulous experience.  At first I was afraid to walk on the clear glass  but since I knew I would not fall through I made myself walk on it.  The views were fantastic.  My only regret was not getting photos taken by their "on the walk way" photographer. 




Sky walk in background.
Grandma G was up there looking around and down through the center clear glass--Yikes


























The booties I wore on the sky walk
(I forgot to take them off)











Once we entered the Hualapai land we viewed the canyon from three different areas.  The following photos are a combination of them.  Observe that there are NO protective barriers...... 




















Rain clouds moving in

       The day was VERY windy---up to 50 mile an hour winds.  At one point I had to sit down on a trail because I felt like I would be blown down.  We also had rain while driving home.  Guess we were treated to one of about seven days out of the year it rains in the desert.  


     If you look closely at the center of this view you can make out the shape of an eagle with its wings spread.  This is a sacred place for the Hualapai people since it has historical and cultural significance to it. 

       This has been a good 3 "Grand Canyon memories" days in the life of Grandma G.

      "Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  (Isaiah 40:31)



No comments:

Post a Comment