Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Labor Day/ Social Day/ Explore Day

     Much to my relief the headache was gone when I woke up on Monday!  It was a holiday---Labor Day.  My son, William, called from San Diego; the first to call my new Vancouver phone number.  He makes business trips to Edmonton, Canada.  I told him we weren't very far from there when we were in Banff and Lake Louise.  

 Since it was a holiday I thought I should do something "holiday".  Deb picked me up to go shopping.  We also had a girls' lunch with Micaela and Angie.
  

Later in the day I drove myself to Deb's home for supper.  It is about a 25 minute drive that I will enjoy once I am familiar with the route.
I am having a swell time here in the Pacific Northwest.  
Deb thinks perhaps I should refrain from eating sea food.


_________________________________________________________

     Tuesday was a "get social" day.  I attended water aerobics for the first time.  There were 11 ladies and one man.  There were 2 Nancy's, 2 Donna's, 2 Lorraine's ,  and.......now......2 Georgia's!
     I also went to the $5 Tuesday movie with a group from Creekside; got my $2 popcorn and my rewards card from the theater!!  I BELONG.
    Later in the day I went shopping at Fred Meyer's to take advantage of the 10% senior discount.  However, I did not go early enough in the day because the day became night and night became dark and dark caused me to not find my way OUT of Fred Meyers' parking lot and onto the highway.  Well, I finally found my way out and only missed one correct turn on the way home.   My little "55+" neighborhood looked mighty good when I arrived there.
     I am trying to "own" this city.  I tell myself it is just an oversized large town.  This is my home; these
streets are here to take me where I want to go.  No cars want to crash into me.  These folks are my neighbors and family.  I truth, everyone has been friendly and willing to help out or give directions.  Vancouver,WA, you are my home!  
From "Big Buck" Wisconsin potatoes to "by George" Washington potatoes.

_____________________________________________________

     Wednesday has been "explore my Orchard's neighborhood" day.  I found my way to my local bank.  While in the area I decided to walk around a bit.  I discovered a chiropractor's office and stopped to inquire about their methods and costs.  (In his office he had pictures of a hike up to Machu Picchu.   One of my sons hiked there 2 years ago.  I take that as a good sign that this fellow will be my chiropractor.)
     On one intersection is this mural painted on the side of a building.  



     I also checked out a European Food Market and bought cookies, candies and German noodles. (There's a great recipe on the noodle package; I would try it if I could read German. Instead I used them in yummy looking home made chicken soup--just like Grandma G makes.) 





 Bringing in supplies....
  







             All the comforts of a non set up office.







   









       This has been a good 3 "get to know the neighborhood" days in the life of Grandma G.

     "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."  (Psalm 16:5 & 6)






No comments:

Post a Comment