Thursday, September 27, 2012

Reality Check/Face Your Fear....

Gerry and Gretta's back yard
       Reality set in this morning at 5:45.  I woke up with a pain in my chest and couldn't go back to sleep.  The kids were up at 6:15.  The traffic noise was (and stays) very loud. The humidity was quite high; I have a difficult time breathing in high humidity.  Allie was jumping and yapping like crazy to get up on my bed.  (Sorry, Allie, I don't do mornings.)   Haaa, the California life! 
      All three of us were crabby.  That's what happens in the early AM from TOO much fun in the sun the day before.  Jude got himself off to school and I dropped off Gemma a little late.  Then.... Then..... Then.......I had this terrible urge to ...... wash dishes and do more laundry.  I gave into the urge.    Then another urge......do stretching exercises.   By noon I was ready to sit in the sun and finish the humongous salad from the day before. 
      Gemma needed another bottle of cough medicine.  She was already coughing hard when I arrived on Sat.  She is sensitive to upper respiratory infections, asthma and gagging as a result of her esophagus surgery.  I was quite concerned earlier in the week that I might need to take her to the doctor.  I was concerned for her, but also for me since driving in strange city territory is a panic for me.   With God's blessing we've made it through the week, even with a critical point early Wed. AM.  She is much improved, but the cough syrup bottle was almost empty.  What to do?  I knew there is a pharmacy not far from here,  But what about the traffic?  I debated with myself and the panic feelings.  Decided that facing one's fear is the best way to beat it.  So.... off went Allie and I to the store.  Was quite easy.  No one even knew what a nut case was driving around.  Upon arriving home Allie gave me a high five (with a little help from me).   I do believe I am becoming a cosmopolitan driver.    
     The after school hours with Jude and Gemma were wonderfully peaceful.  They played with their friends a bit, painted, had dinner, watched TV and were off to bed.  Which again proves, "All's well that ends well".  
     I have completely enjoyed this time with them.  Getting to know their mannerisms and personalities is  satisfying to me as Grandma.  Since up till now there has been 2,000 miles between us there hasn't been a chance to really get to know each other and to feel relaxed on a routine basis.  They are both great kids.  Late tomorrow night their dad will be back.  I can then enjoy a few vacation days with all of them. 

     This has been a good "face your fear" day in the life of Grandma G.

     "I have set the Lord always before me.  Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." (Psalm 16:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment