Sunday, December 16, 2012

Senior Run Around Days....






     (Senior) girls just wanna have fun.  Friday it was off to Portland for Christmas Tea at Salty's on the Columbia River.  Salty's is famous for their Christmas nutcrackers.  They are shared between Portland and Seattle.  We ladies' enjoyed a formal tea.  Enjoy the photos.
 
 
      The minted radish was actually quite tasty.   One wouldn't think these miniature sandwiches and desserts were filling---they were for me.

 
 
(our van driver was also a photographer--knew how to bring out the colors)
 


Washington state is known for it's holly--very pretty
 
___________________________________________________________________________
 

     On Saturday it was again off to Portland.  This time in the rain forest rain.  After a huge breakfast we headed over two bridges to the Scottish Rite building for a 2 hour Christmas presentation of songs, bluegrass rhythms, clog dancing, and skits.  Excellent production.   Not allowed to take pictures.
 
      The Revels are a music/acting team of all ages.  I think it would be so much fun to audition in June for next year's production.  They start practice in September (for those who are accepted) on Monday nights for 2 hours in Portland.  There are 11 performances close to Christmas time.  May be too much of a commitment for me. (They may not want me.)  I'll let you know next fall if you should buy your tickets to come see me.   
     You wouldn't think two pictures represent a six hour time frame, but they do.  The day was "cold", PNW style.  Some areas saw a few snowflakes.  Fortunately, I didn't.  There was a deluge of rain.  It was a little unnerving when the van driver was making her way into Portland while the windows were fogging up and she was asking the GPS guy how to get to where we were suppose to be.  It was also unsettling when it was time to leave and all us senior ladies were sitting in the van minus one person---our trusted tour guide. We were eventually reunited.  Oh, for the great senior life. 
_______________________________________________________________________
 
     It is now Sunday evening.  The wind is hollowing and the rain is dumping.  If this were northern Wisconsin there would be a full blown blizzard happening.  This morning I made it to church and back without getting lost through rain on a busy highway.  Progress.  
     Christmas is one week away.  That means its time to re-evaluate plans.  Simplicity is my theme this year.  That means a lot of hoped for plans of a few weeks ago are now no longer hoped for.  Cut to the essentials---sit awhile and figure out what they are.  Folks will get cards in January; grandkids will get gift cards; 3 batches of cookies baked will be an achievement; show up for 2 ladies' gift exchange parties ( girls just wanna have fun); practice a song I am playing and singing for my new church on Sunday. This is a good year to celebrate what Christmas really means--the birth of our savior, Jesus; the peace that comes from knowing him and the love of family. 
     I am still adjusting to life west of the Rockies.  I miss family and friends "back east".  At the same time I am starting to form friendships here.  Friday I met a lady who lives on 1/3 acre and has berries and fruit trees.  We exchanged names and phone numbers.  Saturday a lady I met on an earlier trip hung out with me.  I am meeting folks here in the park and my new church.  All the Millers, Carole and Frank make family. 
 
     "On the fourteenth day of Christmas stayed in from the rain
......and reflected on all the blessings I have gained."
 
    This has been 3 good "senior run around" days in the life of Grandma G. 
 
     "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign:  The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel."  (Isaiah 7:14)
 
    
         
   
      


No comments:

Post a Comment