Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Plethora of Activities

     Saturday morning dawned cold (28) and frosty.  I anticipated an active day. With a surge of energy I headed outside to scrape  (Yes, scrape) off the car windows before driving to  water aerobics.  The  pool water was warm and the hot tub even warmer.  Our discussion that morning centered on how cold it is today.  (Ha, I thought, these ladies don't know what cold is.   Cold is -7 to -19 degrees, one's nostrils sticking together when one tries to breathe outside, the car tires going THUMP as one tries to drive along, being dressed with 4 inches of padding totally surrounding oneself, loosing the feeling in one's fingers and toes in about 10 minutes time. )  One lady said she had friends in Fargo, ND and they would tell her stories of the snow and frigid air.  She commented, "Those poor folks, they have an entirely different way of life".  Little does she realize HOW different.  
     Once back home I worked on getting the dishes done, the laundry done, (that worked until the dryer breathed out a terrible burning smell and quit drying the clothes).  I was aiming to get the house in order before driving to Deb's for a late afternoon B-day party and dinner.   But before that I needed to remedy some banking woes--like a negative checkbook balance.  That required a brief drive into the business area  before their 1 PM closing. 
                     When I left my home the sun was bright and the sky a lovely blue.  I didn't mind hauling a basket of half-dried clothes to her house to finish drying.  At one point about half way there a curtain of fog abruptly fell across the atmosphere.  At Deb's the scene was one to be seen out of a London mystery show.   It was to remain that way well into the night.
           I hadn't been to Deb's since Christmas weekend.  It was like learning the route all over again.  



          After a yummy dinner of steak, large baked potatoes and B-day cake  (The other grandparents, Frank and Carole, each had a B-day in January.) we settled in to watch an old, but very funny movie, Pure Luck.  All of us laughed and laughed.  It is one of Deb's favorites.  Check it out if you are looking for hilarious comedy with no indecent surprises.  

       When it came time for me to go home the London fog was still thick.  Carole and Frank offered me a ride home.  Angie would pick me up for church the next morning and then bring me to her house to get my car in the daylight.  Being leery of night driving and fog and unfamiliar roads, this sounded like a good option which I opted for. 

         My plethora of Saturday activities ended at home after a couple of hours of  playing piano and finding family photos on the computer for the calendar project.  

_______________________________________________________________

     Sunday dawned cold (29) and frosty, but not AS frosty as the previous mornings.  I was awake for a while earlier in the AM so wasn't too concerned about getting up early again.  I anticipated Angie coming over about 9:30 to get me for church.  About  9 I called her to make sure plans hadn't changed---no answer--10 minutes later, no answer--10 minutes later, no answer--a call to Deb, no answer--panic.  What does one do in a city and no car?  Fortunately I had the numbers of 2 new friends from church that might give me a ride.  Question was, was Angie coming?   I made arrangements for a ride and figured that if Angie show up she can drive herself to church.  One more call to Angie,  "Hello, Grandma, I'll be right there."  I told her I had a ride so she volunteered that she is awfully sick and wouldn't be going to church but said she would meet me there around noon to give me ride back to her house for me to get my car.  All settled.


                                                 Frosty VC morning scenes......

        After church, no Angie, call to Angie, no answer, no answer, no answer.  People are leaving.  What does Gram G do?   The folks who gave me a ride offer to take me to Deb' house.  Call to Angie, "Gram I am SO sick.".
       One of those plans that sounds really good but really isn't.  At least the sun was shining and the London fog gone.  I got to Deb's, had some lunch, watched some football and headed home mid afternoon.  Moral of the story?  Who knows.   Your pick.
          The weather in the afternoon was nice enough for a walk for me, though folks I met up with agreed about the terribly cold weather we are having.  Better here than there (Park Falls, WI)

         I enjoyed a phone visit with my son, Al, in Park Falls, who confirmed that indeed it is COLD.  Later received an email from a dear friend in PF who also commented on the frigid weather and right then a more temperate climate sounded very good.  
        So, having done an hour of stretches while watching Sense and Sensibility, eating dinner and blogging a bit I am ready for a long winter's nap under cozy covers in a more temperate climate.  Yeah!

      This has been two good "plethora of activities" days in the life of Grandma G.

     "The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made.  The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth."  (Psalm 145: 17 & 18)














       

No comments:

Post a Comment