Friday, January 18, 2013

Day of Senior Adventures....

     I needed to venture out today to go to the chiropractor and bank and to get gas for the car.  Everything outside was frosty white earlier in the morning.  Guess they call it freezing fog.  Soon, though, the sun was out and the white disappeared.  It was "nippy" here, but not -7 degrees. 

    As I was driving in to buy gas I saw a truck pulling a weird looking canoe type boat.











    I asked the driver if I could take a picture and if it were a carnival ride or a real boat.  He said it is a real boat and that they race it and others (dragon boats) on the Willamette River in June during the Portland Rose festival.  He said to come out and watch them.  (There are several wooden benches inside.)  Hopefully I can go watch the races this June.  You all come, too!

      I sold a gold ring today.   I have never done anything like that before.  I stopped in at a buyer's shop while I was out and about.  He seemed honest, explained how such transactions work, said there were several other shops if I wanted to compare prices, said the insurance man next door is from Wisconsin and has Packer stuff all over his walls (this was when he saw on my driver's license that I was from Wisconsin ), and he was left-handed.  I figured all that gave him good credentials.  I hope I received an honest price.  Not lots of money but a little boost to my cash fund.  The fellow also told me how to know if a piece of gold looking jewelry is real gold.  If it clings to a magnet it is NOT gold.  I will try that with the handful of old jewelry I'd like to cash in.  

     The weather was SO nice I had to go walking--walked 2 miles.   Got some great views of Mt. Hood and snow on the distant Cascades Mountains. 


                                 
                 Interesting cloud formation over Cascade Mountains







                                                  Pacific Northwest Living
        Into the evening I "listened" to a little TV while working on the piggy puzzle.  I found 6 pieces, which is actually quite good for me.  Later on I started finding pictures for the GeoLou Schmidts calendar that I do  for the family each year for Christmas.  Christmas?   Last year's calendar started in February and ran through January.  Probably again this year--too late to have it start in January.  Here's a secret.  It is a secret gift to them so don't say anything.  Chances are THEY AREN'T reading this blog.   

      This has been a good "senior adventures" day in the life of Grandma G.

       "I lift my eyes up to the hills--where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."   (Psalm 121 :1)  





                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment