Friday, January 4, 2013

BUMMER....

       I was up ealy so I could fly off to the wild blue yonder.  Nope.  Flight was delayed.  At one point in the morning I asked about compensation since it was mechanical problems.  Nope.  The delay was not long enough.  That was at 11AM.
       I think this email sent Sat. morning  to my friend, sister-in-law, Betty, will tell the story well. 
                                                                      ENJOY!!
 
Hi Betty,
    I am home--finally. The plane was suppose to leave at 7:10AM and  arrive here (Portland, OR) 11AM PST (1PM your time).  A 7 hour trip. There was an alert on the computer that it was delayed until 8:30. Burt and I went to the airport anyway with me hoping they might leave earlier. Guess there was a dent in the wing. The departure was delayed until 10 then until noon and then until 4PM, if at all. In the meantime I was rescheduled for a later flight out of MSP--first class, (Yeah!) arriving PDX at 7:30.  Finally the guy at the desk said I should reroute through Detroit just so I'd be sure to get out.   Early on I wanted to reschedule for Sat. but they said no--they don't if there are plenty of other options.  By 1PM all the options were given to other people and they would have given me a ticket for Sat. but by then I just wanted to get going.
      So on to Detroit I went at 2PM (changed my watch time). At 7PM their time I left for Salt Lake City (reset my watch). At 9PM their time I left for Portland (reset my watch). Arrived PDX 11PM PST. My carry on suitcase arrived but not the one that was checked in Mosinee (it might be in South America by now).
    I got up at 5:30AM CST and arrived home at 11:45PM PST---(1:45AM CST)--up for 20 hours straight (I was sitting much of that time). At Mosinee I had gone through security and just stayed put for 7 hours with not much to do (you know the area). Kathy Schraeder came up to me after about 4 hours of waiting. I thought she had gotten out to Ohio at 6AM. We chatted for quite awhile. I think she got my last chance seat of getting to MPS at 12:40.
    In the meantime Mosinee gave a lady a $400 voucher for giving up a seat on the MPS flight to accommodate either a guy that was flying to Abu Dhabi or a group of 3 flight attendants who wanted to get back to MPS. (I'm sure she didn't count for all 4 of them.) I think her flight was a reschedule for the 7:10 that didn't go out.
    Once I was rescheduled for Detroit they did compensate me also---$7 for lunch and $7 for dinner.
The plane from Detroit to Salt Lake City sounded like an infirmary--coughing, coughing, coughing. Of course I did add a sneeze and nose blow in there.
    In SLC they offered bumps for $400 and a motel for the night. I was too tired to jump for it and by then 8 people lined up.
    On the plane from SLC to PDX I sat across from a man who would have won a coughing contest. There was a baby who seemed quite miserable and cried often.
    I did arrive safely in PDX. Tired but not devastated, except emotionally. Only twice was I on the verge of tears---a few did slip out as I boarded for Detroit.
    Not that I am complaining or whining, you know. *&lt):) cowboy
Thanks for the great visit! Hope your remodeling is done soon. (A flock of geese is flying by---love the sound) Love ya! Geo

       This has been a (not so) good travel day in the life of Grandma G.
     
     "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do  not know what a day may bring forth."  (Proverbs 27:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment