Monday, January 14, 2013

IT HAPPENED......

IT SNOWED TODAY.......
    It's what I ran away from in Wisconsin.   Now here it is.   Not too bad, though.
  














    That's pretty much the story of today.  I attended the Bible study here at the park.  I did give a business card to the office to post in our monthly newsletter.  And prepared squash soup for the slow cooker.  Spent a little time at the piano and figuring out bills.  Guess not everyday is high energy.  NOT WHEN IT IS SNOWING SO HARD.

      But I can tell you about my banana addiction.   Ya, I have a banana addiction.  It probably isn't what you  think it is--- I don't smoke them.  I used to let them turn black. I have a "gotta buy bananas" addiction.   It all started with the notion that one must eat healthy, that us senior folks need a banana a day to keep blood pressure down, that I need a banana a day to keep my potassium levels up. I'll let you in on a secret---I don't really like bananas all that much.  BUT, they are HEALTHY for you.  And I am all for HEALTHY.

     My weekly routine goes like this---I have it down to a science now.  At the grocery I will venture over to the banana display bin.  Look them over.  Size them up.  Study the color.  Count how many are in a bunch.  Finally I will pick out a bunch of 4-5, small ones, green or almost green ones.  That way they will keep for the week and I won't have to eat  a large portion.  At home I will separate them. (Not long ago I was told that if they don't touch each other they won't ripen as quickly.  As quickly as what?  Sounds like a social issue we all have.)   Anyway I figure it won't hurt to separate them, so I do.   That is day 1.  Day 2 I will walk by and look at them.  Day 3 I will walk by and look at them.  Day 4 I will walk by and MAYBE grab one and EAT IT.  Day 5 I will walk by and look at them as they are turning colors and changing texture.   Day 6  I will walk by them and think--I should eat them before they go bad.  Day 7 I take them all, peel them, put them in small plastic bags, and place them in the freezer.  (I use to put banana, peel and all in the freezer where they would turn black and scare the whatsit out of the kids when they opened the freezer for ice cream.)  About a year ago my son, Chuck, said he first peels the bananas before putting them in baggies and then into the freezer.  I didn't know Chuck had a banana addiction, too.  I found that works well for preserving normal banana color.  
    The freezer routine is really a good thing.  All those almost rotting bananas can go into cold storage until one is ready for smoothies, banana bread or just a plain frozen banana.  And they can just veg there (though they are a fruit) indefinitely--or freezer room is used up.  In the meantime it is back to the grocery for shopping and I venture over to the banana display bin.  I don't have any bananas at home and they are HEALTHY.   Need to pick out a bunch of 4-5 small, green ones.  



     This has been a good snowy, banana day in the life of Grandma G

     "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law."  (Galatians 5:22)










No comments:

Post a Comment