Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Another winter day AKA reason # 347....


What is it?  They're all over town
     We had a light fluffy snow this morning.  Sorry, I didn't get any pictures. (oh, darn) (of the snow actually falling.)   I didn't want to get out and about because of snowy roads.  As it turned out the main road through town had been salted and was clear; the side roads were a little slippery.  I don't want to call the "main road" the main highway because to city folks that congers up images of 4 or more lanes of traffic.  We might have 4 or more cars in one lane in a few blocks during busy times.  
winter link to sanity
     My morning at home went well.  I walked on the treadmill 1.10 miles in 23 minutes before heading off  to my counseling session.  Yes, Grandma G goes to counseling occasionally.  Not the guru, gaze at your naval, drinking carrot tea while standing on one foot type of counseling, but down home, empathetic, the wise thing for you type.  I actually have not gone since last spring.  It was time to sort out a few things.
    At the store this afternoon I spent an hour or more at the piano.  I have my new song almost 95% done.  Getting the verses to sound appealing verbally and musically can be challenging.  My brain can only "create" a little at a time.  Fun and satisfying, though.
    Also satisfying was eating the second half of my Subway sub.  It is one way of getting crispy cucumbers in January and February here up north.   To me there is something "nature defying", "arctic overcoming", "mountain conquering"  about eating crispy fresh cucumbers in the winter.  It just is not natural.  What is natural is "winter" produce like potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, pickles, squash, apples---things that can be grown here in the summer and then stored for most of the winter.  But, cucumbers--NO. Crunching into them sends my senses into July and August.  MMMM......cucumbers.  (FYI  There is no such thing as a crispy cuc in our one and only grocery store.)
normal winter salt layer
    The high school girl who comes in to help while I am giving lessons has also been helping me with inventory.  She patiently did it for me last year.  This year we are using the same info sheets and changing the numbers.  Inventory and tax prep time for me is my ADD space. Its comforting to know this will be the last time I need to plow my way through this--brier patch, molasses swamp, spilled tacks, hornets, mosquitoes and the like.
   Another winter day....Reason #347.....to move  to VC.

   IT'S COMING, FOLKS,  THE HIGHLIGHT OF FEBRUARY!  IN 3, YES, 3 DAYS!

This has been a good "another winter day" in the life of Grandma G.

"It was You who set all the boundaries of the earth; You made both summer and winter."
(Psalm 74:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment