Sunday, February 19, 2012

SURPRISE!

     Woke up to -1 degrees this morning.  But there was a really fun surprise even for me---colored sparkly snow! 

     Though it is cold there is a sense of spring on the horizon. 


Flashback:  Jan 6 (-10 degrees)   "Last night I woke up to the sound of an animal running through the walls and attic.  The night before there was a 'bump in the night'.  I figured it was a frozen squirrel that had fallen off the chimney.  Last night it must have been his sister running around or he wasn't really frozen the night before."

   In the morning I enjoyed a blessed  service with folks at church.  At this point they know that I am in and out and tease me about being a visitor.  It is a comfort to have church family.

     This afternoon I baked 2 chickens and a winter squash, made mashed potatoes, and packed them up to take to the home of my brother, Nick and his wife, Sandy.  I picked up Betty J and we headed over.  Their son, Gary and his wife, Jo, were also there.  Nick is my younger brother by 14 months.  He will turn 65 the end of April.  He and I ( and youngest sister, Betsy) shared adventures and struggles of living in Park Falls as children. 
     Nick has Picks disease.  It is a form of Alzheimer.  He was diagnosed about 6 years ago.  At this point he is not able to care for himself.  Sandy provides for him at home.
 In the summer Sandy will take him out for rides in their "mule".  In the winter they stay  home. Betty and I go over every few weeks to for a meal and visit.  We share news from our family in Indianapolis and let them know how he is doing. Nick was a very kind man in his well days and remains placid now.   It is healing for me to prepare a meal to share with them .

     This evening on TV I was able to catch up with the activities of the Roloff family, The Little People.  They live near Portland.  On two occasions I had the privilege of shaking hands with Amy.  Fun. It is entertaining and inspiring to see the goals and determination of this family.

This has been a good family day in the life of  Grandma G.





"A friend loves at all times and a brother (or sister) is born for adversity." (Proverbs 17:17)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment