Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy B-day, Big Al!

     Today was my son, Al's, 38th B-day.  We call him Big Al.  He was 5lb. 11 oz and 17inches at full term birth. What he lacked in height he made up for in determination---though he had some trouble with his younger brother, Chuck, who was close to his size.
Angie, Gerry, Debbie, Burt,
Al in the high chair
     One of Grandma Rose's favorite stories involved both of them when they were about 5 and 3.  Al had hit Chuck for something.  Grandma Rose threatened to "drive him into the snowbank" (Her usual scare even in the summer time) if he did it again.  Al worriedly replied, "Then I won't be here for my Birthday."  To which Chuck promtly responded, "That's Ok. We'll eat his Birthday cake. And so, Grandma?" Al slugged him again.  This time Grandma Rose sided with Al.   












     The afternoon at the music store was quiet.  A fellow whom I haven't seen for a year or more came in.   I didn't remember his name, but he remembered mine.  He sat down at a piano and played a few bars of Georgia On My Mind.  Flattering, but disturbing.  We chatted for awhile.  He had been living in another town and came back to PF last week.  He is looking for advanced guitar students. 
     After he left I played piano for an hour or so.  My mind and emotions were unsettled from some legal affairs in the morning.  I realized I was a bit depressed.  Getting engrossed in my original songs has a healing effect on me.  I worked on Keep on Keeping on.
    Actually, I went wild in honor of Al's B-day.  I closed the store 15 minutes early; drove to McDonald's to got a 1/4lb angus bacon cheeseburger and a mango smoothy; hurried home to watch Star Trek.  And ended up with a huge belly ache.  It was my fortunate evening.  There was a Star Trek movie on after the hour episode (on a different channel).  Good for soothing the soul.     

Why I like living alone:  I dropped a 32 oz container of yogurt when I came home.  I had to hurry into the living room for my date with Jon Luke Pichard.  I got so engrossed that I forgot about the spilled yogurt for 3 hours.  At that point I didn't feel like cleaning it up so it sat there another 2 hours.  I did clean it up before I went to bed--it was starting to glue itself to the floor.  I guess that is why some folks have a dog or cat.



This has been a good Al's B-day day in the life of Grandma G.

"He also made the stars.  God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night and to separate light from darkness.  And God saw that it was good."  (Genesis 1:17 & 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment