Friday, February 3, 2012

A Good "People" Day

     I went to the Post Office this morning to mail 5 family calendars, 1 music CD and to buy a new supply of stamps.  The total was $50.  My first reaction was, "I hope my kids are worth that".  I was startled when I realized I muttered that out loud. A man who was waiting in line next to me (we were the only 2 in line) spoke through his shocked look, "They are always worth our help". Then with deep insight he added, "They are always giving us that opportunity".  I nodded in agreement, not wanting to say anything inappropriate.  Actually, I was annoyed at the postal department, but didn't want the post master lady to know.
     From there I went to the bank, then since it was 11:50 and I don't open the store until noon.  I figured I had 9 minutes to make a quick visit to a lady who runs a gift store near me.  They have adopted 5 Chinese kids--all from different families. The kids have all taken piano lessons from me at some time.  I hadn't seen them since last summer and wanted to know how they are doing.  We had a nice chat.  The kids are doing fine, though busy, which is normal.  I did tell her that I am going to be done giving lessons the end of May.  We conversed about that for a bit.  She gave me a big hug before I left.  Letting folks know that I am giving up teaching and the store this spring puts reality into my plans.  I do concede there is 1/2 % chance I will still be here next year.
   My visit exceeded 9 minutes, so I was late in opening.  I figured as long as the boss and I don't meet up with each other, I will be OK.
   A lady came in to make a payment on a rental instrument. She is having some personal problems so we had a chance to talk.  She had gone to school with one of my kids.  It is nice in a small town to know a lot of folks and what they are going through.  We gave each other a big hug before she left.
   Today is my grandson, Devin's, 13th B-day.  Happy B-day, Devin!  He and I had a trip to Indianapolis, the Smoky Mountains and Dolly Wood last June.  We also took in the Bill Monroe Blue Grass festival in Bean Blossom, IN.  Devin is an upright bass and guitar player. 
    I spent most of the afternoon at the store putting together an album of our trip for him.  I will see him tomorrow and present it to him for a present. (English is such a great language.  I hope you had the correct accent on each present--or was that present?)



   This evening was the start of my winter break*. To celebrate that (and Devin's B-day) I had a steak dinner at a local restaurant with a good lady friend of mine.  She had checked out my blog last night and was impressed with it--said I have great computer skills. (That's NOT exactly the way Chuck describes my computer savvy.)  I replied that it has taken a lot of hours and I barely know much, but it is a lot of fun.
    She gave me a golden can that has printed "Georgia's" on top.  This is the first time my can has been golden.  I will treasure my can for as long as I live.  No one is allowed to touch my can.  Can your can compare to my can? 

     *Winter break means I am leaving the snowy grounds of Park Falls and flying to green pastures for a week. 

    This has been a good "people" day in the life of Grandma G.

    "The pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel" (Proverbs 27:9)
   
















  


No comments:

Post a Comment