Monday, March 19, 2012

Happy B-Day, Burt!

     Today is Burt's 41st B-day.  He is a man of many talents and can handle several things at the same time.  I don't know how he does it.  When he was born I asked the nurse how he looks.  She said he was "all hands".  I thought she meant he had big hands.


     A favorite story of mine concerning Burt was when we brought Angie home from the hospital--Burt was 15 months old.
I sat down with Angie on my lap and uncovered her so big brother could see her.  She had a lot of black hair.  Burt stared at her for a long time, started to shiver with excitement, squealed "woof, woof"... and bit her.



Wisconsin Schmidt men--Cory, Josh,Devin, Al, Burt, Chuck, Lou,  Logan, Eddy, Tyler
Burt's Family.....Burt, Jen, Tyler, Logan, Devin, Cory, Josh

     Burt had the privilege of being a foreign exchange student in Shepparton, Australia when he was 16-17 years old--24 years ago.  Three years ago I had the privilege of visiting his exchange family there.  (Today I don't think I would have the courage to send a 16 year old off by himself half way across the world.)

     Today we had a record high of 78 degrees.  I have NO complaints.  I am hoping I will NEVER see another Wisconsin winter.  It is such a relief to be free of snow and cold.  I am grateful God sent us a mild winter and early spring.  I am like a lizard, getting active in the warmth (not heat) and shutting down in the cold.

    I was pleasantly surprised this morning with a phone call from my brother John.  He is my ONE devoted fan who reads this Blog daily.  With him signing up on Google Friend Connect he DOUBLED my  following!  Thanks, John! ( And thanks, Chuck, for completing the other half!)  We talked for quite awhile. He enjoys hearing family news he doesn't hear otherwise.  And in my mind I can hear Susie laughing at some of the goings on and humorous pictures.     
 John and Susie, Indianapolis Christmas 2011

     This afternoon a customer came in the store to buy guitar strings.  He commented, "So you are closing the store."  I said yes, that I am moving to the Portland area.  He said that is a good place, that it is a great music center--a lot of good music comes from there. 

     I did talk to (and sing to) the B-day Boy this evening.  "Happy B-day, Burt!  I love you and am proud of you!"

   This has been a good Burt's B-day in the life of Grandma G.

"A wise son brings joy to his father (and to his mother)."  (Proverbs 10:1)    

No comments:

Post a Comment