Friday, March 23, 2012

It's Friday Night!!

     Friday nights are suppose to be special--the end of the work week, the end of the school week, get to party all night, get to stay home on Saturday.  Yeah!  So to roll all that into one Mrs. J and I went to pig out at the Black Bear before being scared out of our wits watching "The Little Shop of Horrors".  I certainly won't feed my plants ever again!
     That was the musical put on by the local high school.  I had never seen it before, though the title was vaguely familiar in my head.  I mentioned to a fellow at the restaurant that the play we were going to see was "The Little House of Horrors".  He replied that in that one "horrors" is spelled differently.  Oh.

 China Beijing in the winter
     The afternoon at the music store was busy socially.  A fellow came in to browse while his wife finished her meal at the China Beijing--just 2 doors over.  He said he and his wife lived in China several years.  Now that he is retired he likes to spend his time seeking out high end Chinese restaurants.  He said this one is a combination of Chinese and American Chinese; that it actually was quite tasty.  He went on to say that here in America we wonder why the Chinese make such "junk". Over there, he said, the Chinese workers wonder why Americans like to buy such "junk".  The Chinese don't like that stuff.  They manufacture it because there are American contractors who order it.  Hmmmm
     Frank stopped by while I was enjoying "studio" time. Usually his wife is with him so I asked where she was.  At home---he needed to get away for a bit.  She has dementia.  We talked a little about me moving and closing the store.  He was hoping I'd keep it going through July since he has a little recording area in the back and doesn't know where to transfer it to.  I wish I could help him, but time and money are tight for me. 
     Another couple came in for the guy to buy a few things.  The girlfriend tried out a piano and wondered how you tell what keys to play--there was nothing to indicate which ones.  I said one has to learn the names of the keys and what printed music means.  She did get involved with an impromptu lesson on a smaller keyboard.  While she was engrossed  he tried out a few different guitars. They wiled away about 30 minutes                                                                                                       Jamie           
     Jamie came in to pick up something for a friend.  I told him about the amp that Wally L had brought back a couple days ago.  He tried it out and fiddled with some of the settings but couldn't get it to sound clear.  Of course, he and I had various opinions of what might be wrong.  While we were engaged in that Jeff popped in.  We got him involved.  He took the guitar, flipped it upside down so he could play the chords with his right hand (he's left handed) and started strumming away.  Abruptly he pointed out a tan spot inside the amp and declared a magnet was detached.  Some guys are SO smart.
     After Jamie left Jeff and I chatted a while.  He is the one who prepared the master CDs for me.  He got a kick out of me taking the wrong one to the recording studio.  I said it was his fault for giving me a choice of two.
     Later in the afternoon a young girl had her piano lesson.  Afterward her mom asked about summer lessons.  I hesitated and she probably was thinking I didn't want to give her daughter lessons.  Actually I was pondering if I should reveal that I won't be around for the summer.  Finally I told her I am going to be done the end of May. They both seemed surprised and disappointed.  I told them I will also be closing the store.  She responded she thought it would be fun to run a music store.  I mentioned that I thought a person would have to have a side business included to make it work.  She left looking like she was thinking a bit.
     It is difficult for me to announce my "retirement", yet I don't feel any pull to keep here another winter. 
     One last development for the day.  I got it in my head it would be nice to "run" out to Deb's for Easter and check out the house possibility.  I told myself that if I find a 25,000 mile FF ticket I would do that. (Yesterday they were all coming up much higher priced.)  I was "browsing" and came across a nicely timed one that first showed 32,500 and then clicked in at 25,000.  Now what do I do? If I leave that page I might not get it back.  If I reserve it I have until Sat. midnight to cancel it.  So WHAT did I do?  Find out tomorrow....... 
     It is now 1:30AM Sat. CDT.  It is, however, Friday night so I can stay up as late as I want....I just have to remember NOT to feed the plants. 

    This had been a good socially active day in the life of Grandma G.

"So I saw there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work beause that is his lot."
(Ecclesiastes 3:22)


    

No comments:

Post a Comment