Thursday, April 19, 2012

Men, Men, Men, everywhere.....

     ....in my store this afternoon.  I no sooner got somewhat settled around noon when this giant fellow comes in.  He was looking for some valve oil.  He was overjoyed to spend $2.50 for the needed oil.  THEN....he got to talking.  Inquiring at first.  He was looking for a large powerful amp.  He is a polka player on the concertina.  Seems a "friend" of his spilled beer on the old one. Had to take him to court to get him to go good for another one.  Big Guy had the judge annoyed at his persistence and even though the judge knows what polka music is he DOESN'T know how involved it is to create this glorious music on the concertina.  Actually, Big Guy didn't need an amp but some tiny microphones to insert into the four corners of the squeeze box to produce a balanced sound---"we" realized that after scrutinizing 3 catalogs for what he needed IN his price range.  No amp was powerful enough or had enough inputs. (Did you know that concertina low notes are so powerful that  a "normal" amp will be jumping off the floor when Big Guy gets jamming?  I didn't.)  Turns out that Big Guy also tinkers with tractors and trucks. Yep.  He has his workshop all set up. His propane tanks hang upside down behind his off centered door.  That door is off centered on purpose, even though his best "critique" buddy thinks that is stupid.  Buddy thinks it's stupid to have propane tanks hanging upside down---even if they are more efficient.  And the same with air compressors.  When you're sand blasting it's best to run them until most of the pressure is gone and then take a break while they are recharging---or recompressoring or whatever it is that air compressors do.  And did you know that concertinas are worth thousands of dollars though some people think they are junk?   Big Guy also plays the tuba.  That worked better because even though folks said he had great hands for the guitar he could never get his fingers to press just one string at a time.  Did you know that you don't get callouses on your fingers when you play tuba, you gets them on your lips? 
 
  Have you ever practiced looking interested and knowledgeable about stuff you don't give two hoots about and know even less about?  After close to an hour I couldn't remember if Big Guy was looking for an amp for his tractor or an upside down propane tank to put inside his concertina, or was it an off centered door that was jumping off the floor and that his tractor wheel needed 6 inputs rather than 4.  Seems the judge was playing his tuba and got annoyed with Buddy and had him study 3 catalogs until the air compressor took a break while Big Guy spilled beer on the polka because of the callous on his lips.   But, then, he DID spend $2.50 on valve oil. 

     Another man came in as Big Guy was leaving inch by very slow inch. This gentleman was smaller in size and a bit more calm in the mouth.  He took out the only banjo in the store, tuned it and played it a bit.  I asked him if I could take his picture---I just happened to have a camera in my hand.  I told him I do a blog and like to take an occasional picture to include.  He said sure.  I noticed his van had an  Iowa license plate.  I asked if he was from Iowa.  He said.....yes.  He is just passing through; his band is playing a concert tonight in town.  Oh.  (I was one up on him.  I knew all about the concert.  Betty J and I already had our tickets.)  We chatted for a while.  I informed him that my grandson and I had attended a Bill Monroe bluegrass festival in Bean Blossom, IN last summer.  (By now HE was probably practicing being interested in stuff he didn't give two hoots about.)  As he carefully put the banjo back he said he was looking for one that costs more.  I said I could charge him more for it, if that's what he wants.  He did buy a polish cloth for $3.20.  I shook his hand before he left, got his name and told him I would see him at the concert.

     A fellow who is friendly to me stopped by on his way to work (a block away from the store).  He was in yesterday.  He played a couple songs on a piano and said how he is trying to get back into his music.  He is looking for places around town to play some gigs. We talked about recording CDs and local studios.  

     Soon  a dad of one of my students came in to say his daughter couldn't make her lesson tomorrow or today.  He stayed briefly to ask about the store closing and to tell how busy the girls are with school and activities. 

    Lou came in with a buddy just as I was saying goodbye to the dad.  He asked if I wanted to go for dinner with him tomorrow night or Saturday.  I said I would call him in the morning.  We chatted a while and then they left.  Banjo man came back with the drummer, but they didn't find anything to buy.

     I sat down at the piano to practice my new song for the recital.  I was almost through when I saw Jamie's car stop in the parking lot.  I decided to sing the song for him for practice before an audience.  When he came in I asked if he wanted to hear it---like he really had a choice.  Actually he said he liked it.  He brought along a tape recording of a guitar player he is in awe of and wanted me to hear it.  The guitarist is quite remarkable.

     When he left the time was going on 3 o'clock.  Finally I had a chance to eat some lunch.  Frank stopped in about then, but he is used to see me eating lunch.   It was a busy "man" day, but I did take in $5.70. 


 Evening concert....


Richie Lee and the Fabulous 50's 


    great rock n' roll music!

Richie is 21 years old!  They are on a 7,000 mile tour circuit.  Watch for Richie Lee in your local area!  There's a whole lot of shaking going on!







Dan Jones on the left---my friend from the music store.









This has been a good "men" day in the life of  Grandma G. 

"The sun rises....Then man goes out to his work, to his labor until evening."
(Psalm 104:22 & 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment