Friday, April 20, 2012

Mountain crossing...

     Today had many aspects.  I slept in until 9AM since I went to bed at 1AM---blogging.  I spent the morning leisurely before going to the music store.  The sun was bright, but the air cold.  We were  fortunate to not have any snow.  About mid state they received 5 inches. 
    
     If you want to have lots of activity put up a  "going out of business" sign!!  Wednesday a lady came in to see if we had any computers.  She thought she might buy a half priced computer.  A number of guys are coming back when they get their pay checks.  Some folks want to know when I am lowering prices below 20% off.
     This afternoon was busy.  A fellow came in to browse.  I can't say he was an elderly gentleman because he said he's in his 60's (and so am I).  He is looking to buy a guitar, but at his age he is not looking to be a rock star or folk legend.  He is also left handed.  I showed him the one left handed guitar in the store and also explained that I am left handed and play right hand.  I thought he might do fine learning that way.  After some discussion he  seemed to think he need the left handed guitar---and his social security check the first of the month.   He stayed around to explain he has been in town only a few months.  He is just getting acquainted with folks.  Didn't quite get the whole story of where he came from, but there is some native American in him from his mother's side. 

     After he left I started practicing my song again when, Deb, a mom of 2 of my students came in to buy a supply of books so she can keep their lessons going after I leave. (She was also in school with my oldest son several years ago.)  While she was looking and I was bringing out more books a frequent visitor came in---the fellow who is friendly towards me.  He played guitar a little, played the piano more, sang a few songs---Deb said she'd like to work at the store just so he would sing to her.  Deb stayed a long time looking through books.  My friend also hung around.  I had given him my older CD the day before and he said it was very relaxing.  I told him of the girl who said whenever she listens to my CD she goes to sleep--compliment or problem?  We also discussed a problem that I think I have with my digital piano.  I think there is too  much reverb or sustain or something in the bass.  We didn't settle anything except that I should dig out the manual and start pressing buttons until I get the sound I like.  Maybe.
    



     I had agreed to go to dinner with Louie.  After work we drove out to a rustic restaurant and cabin resort about 8 miles out of town. (I have to be careful of the word "resort" since our northern Wisconsin "resorts" are drastically different from big city resorts.  My oldest grandson was appalled when he first saw our resort a few years back.)  BUT at our resorts you can watch the deer eat while you eat (and the occasional wild turkey).
































     We had a pleasant dinner.  We agreed to remain friends and talked about various family activities. We also agreed that it is painful to end a relationship after 46 years.  Yet I need to get on with my life and let him live his as he wants.  We will still always be mom and dad; grandma and grandpa to our family.

     And the mountain crossing?  That was it.  I had something I needed to present to him and I did.  I had something I needed to say to him and I did.  I had a fear in me to do so and now that fear can recede.    I am on the other side of the mountain and can get on with life without apprehension. 

     This has been a good "mountain crossing" day in the life of Grandma G.

"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens."
(Psalm 68:19)




No comments:

Post a Comment