Saturday, February 16, 2013

Music Excursion/Happy B-day, Big Al....

     It was back to "winter" today---light rain and chilly.  But I had a great excursion to warm me up.  Two ladies from the community and I drove to a large music store here in Vancouver.  One lady bought a keyboard and the other a guitar.  Both are going to start lessons with me this week.  Yeah!  One lady lives right next door to me.  
    What was really the most warming to me was the friendship and conversation.  On the way home we shopped at Trader Joe's for a few items and then stopped for lunch.  I had asked them if they wanted to stop.  Both readily admitted they didn't have much on their schedule for the afternoon.  Our conversation was centered on western Alaska as both were childhood friends in Juneau. We talked about the recent reality shows coming from Alaska and I told them how Lou and I have been there 2 times.  What struck me the most was that Wisconsin winter temperatures are COLDER than Juneau's.  (Northern Wisconsin is back to -8  right now.)

    Back home by early afternoon I had a hard time "getting a grip" on the rest of the day--just couldn't focus on any one thing.  I spent a couple hours practicing singing and playing some pieces on the piano. 

    I did call my son, the Birthday boy, and left a singing message on his voice mail.  He called back a little later and said he was in Wausau attending the play The Singing Adventures of Flat Stanley".   Grandson Devin had the singing, leading roll of Flat Stanley.  (Flat Stanley is a cardboard "boy" that school kids take along on trips.  They take pictures of him in different locations.)  Anyway, I talked with Al and wished him a happy Birthday.
   My favorite story is him as a young child was when he was about 5 years old.  He was also a little fellow and he was aware of it.  His dad use to hold up his hands and say, "See these big hands?".  So one day Al held up his hands and declared, "See these big hands?"  Then he hesitated and looked at his hands again and declared, "See these little hands?   Some day these little hands will get to be big hands...."

         HAPPY, HAPPY B-DAY, BIG AL!!  BIG HANDS!!


                         Louie, Georgia, Big Al, Deanna, Autumn, Eddy



WISCONSIN WINTER....
ICE FISHING ON THE LAKE
  
      




BURT'S BACKYARD




       This has been a good "music excursion/ Al's B-day" day in the life of Grandma G.

     "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth."  (Psalm 127:3&$)





No comments:

Post a Comment