Monday, February 18, 2013

Progress.....

                                                HAPPY PRESIDENTS' DAY!!


      Today we celebrated Presidents' Day.  Some lucky grown-ups and students got the day off.  I think the day used to be for George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.  Now I think it is to commemorate all the presidents--I think.   What I know for sure is that my mom named me Georgia in  honor of George Washington since my B-day was only 2 days from his.  (I think--there I go thinking again--it used to celebrated on Feb.22 and I am celebrated on the 24th. )  I DO know that my dad didn't really like the name Georgia for me SO he dubbed me Alabama.  Much more classy. 

              "WHAT DO YOU THINK, TEDDY, DOES THE DAY HONOR US ALSO OR JUST GEORGE AND ABE?"
          "WELL, TOM, WE'RE JUST AS STONED FACED AS THEM, BUT I THINK OUR NOSES ARE BIGGER."

____________________________________________________________________

     Today was a music progress day for me.  I played piano for our Bible study group here in the community.  That was fun.

     This afternoon another music student started---a lady from our community.  Another lady is starting on Friday.  I sure feel "in my element" when I get to teach.


     I figured out a flier to distribute to the schools whenever I take the next step and actually get out to visit the schools.

    I also practiced a song that I plan to sing for a special at church on Sunday.  The accompaniment is a little high pitched. I am trying to figure a way to get it recorded in a lower key.  Hopefully.


      
___________________________________________________________________

       Backtrack to Sunday.  I was very tired all day.  It might be that taking a 2 mile walk 2 days before requires more rest for my body.  Need to get more into good shape.

But this did warm my heart and all the rest of me.  WHERE would YOU want to BE?  Park Falls is where I was a year ago this time.  And the temp was probably about the same.  I remember waking up in the middle of the night in my rental house and hearing a loud THUD.  I think a frozen squirrel fell off the chimney. 
(My son who lives in Milwaukee and was visiting in Wausau saw this bit of info and thought of me.  This is why I crossed the Rocky Mountains last August.) 
      After church and a lesson for a guitar student I climbed into bed for a couple hours.  Then headed over to Deb's for Micaela's B-day supper.  (And to dry my 2 loads of laundry.)  All week long I forget the dryer doesn't work.  Except right now, but by tomorrow morning I will have forgotten again until next weekend when it is laundry time again.
     I watched a very good movie last evening, but don't quite know what to think of the dad.  The Ditchdigger's  Daughters.   I think it is a true account of a black family with 5 daughters.  The dad never got a good education and was determined his daughters would.  He was passionate about them excelling in school and becoming professional women.  He was kindly strict with them and especially stern with one who was somewhat rebellious.  Even years later when she told him she was going back to school to become a psychiatrist he reaction was "think of all those years you wasted."  (My initial reaction is to think he should have been very encouraging to her.) I am still trying decide if his reaction was harsh or passionately true.  
Anyway it is an excellent movie.  I am just trying to figure out what is "real love"would be in that situation.  I don't normally get into analyzing  movie characters, but this one is worthwhile pondering.  
   
      This has been 2 good "mild weather" days in the life of Grandma G.

   "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."  (Philippians 4:8)










No comments:

Post a Comment