Friday, November 16, 2012

B-day Thursday and Workday Friday....



     I started out the day by going to water aerobics.  We had a bonus---the hot tub was finally fixed.  As I was sliding my way into the water I commented, "This water is really hot."  One clever lady responded, "That's why it's called a hot tub."  

     Today was Cory's 16th B-day.  What is more exciting than turning 16 and getting your first kiss?   GETTING YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE!  Cory is doing that tomorrow.  He also has the gift of an old car coming from his grandpa who lives "up north".  When I called to sing Happy B-day to him I asked if he was getting the car soon.  He replied that he and a friend were going to drive up this weekend to get it, but that the brakes needed to be fixed so they have to wait.  Good reason to wait.
                                            HAPPY 16TH B-DAY, CORY!!


      3 of a kind---cousins Austin, Zach, Cory








 


Cory's family with Grandma G, August, 2012
 
       It's IKEA, baby!!  The highlight of the evening was a ride into Portland to Ikea for bedroom furniture shopping.  Deb picked me up after work and we made our way through rush hour traffic across the Columbia River.  Our first stop at Ikea was for Swedish meatballs, matched potatoes and gravy.  YUM!  Then it was off to find our treasures.  The difficulty is that one has to get the items from a warehouse type setup and haul it home.  With us being 2 ladies and having a car, options are somewhat limited.  I did pick out a black metal bed frame, large oval mirror, an artificial bamboo tree and misc. small items.  Deb heaved-hoe and got the bed frame into the trunk and backseat of her car. We drove home with the trunk open.  There were no mishaps other than a few car honks from folks letting us the trunk was open.
__________________________________________________________________       

       Friday I slept in a bit---too much activity Wed. and Thurs.  I had a haircut at 10AM so had to scurry around to be ready.  I tried out a new place less than a  mile from here--second one here in VC---run by a Cambodian lady.  She has lived here for 33 years and doesn't want to move even though bothered by asthma.



        Handyman Bob came over at 11:30 to check out my honey-do list.  First was to assemble my new bed frame.  I kept imagining that I should have bought just a headboard instead of a full iron frame.  Once it was assembled I was reassured I bought the right one.  I will feel like a queen nestled in my stately bed---and maybe need a step stool to get in.  Next dilemma was where to position the 5' oval mirror.  It was intended to go horizontal above the dresser, but the more I thought about it the more I thought using it as a full length mirror on a side wall would be better. (I'm not talented for picturing decorating.)  My undecorated bedroom is starting to take on a homey flair.

 
PNW ENTRANCE







                                    PNW DINING AREA


      Bob spent a couple hours detaching and reattaching the chandelier in the dining area.  It was hanging low enough that normal height folks would hit their heads.  He took out 6 links, untangled and reconnected the electrical wires, hung it back up, noticed that the middle bar was loose, took it down, took it all apart and reassembled it once again.  There was so much jingle, jingle, jingle going on I had to look to make sure eight little reindeer hadn't snuck in.
       I had an unpleasant surprise while checking my recipe for wild rice dressing----it wasn't in the cookbook.  I mean, literally, that page 360/361 was there, page 364/365 was there, but NOT page 362/363.  HMMMM.  What was I thinking a few years back?  Was the page used so much that it tore out?  Where is it now?   How am I going to impress all the folks at my first Thanksgiving community meal here at Creekside?   I couldn't find the recipe even online.  I will make it from memory.  A triple batch.  That's a lot of ill tasting dressing for me to eat if my memory gives me wrong directions.  Check back Sat or Sun to see if my Northwoods dressing has gotten me into a stew.
     I spent a little time online checking out a deal on a possible rental house in the San Juan Islands.  They are the farthest north of Washington without crossing the Canadian border.  This summer is turn for 2 of my grandsons  trip with Grandma G.  Austin from Wisconsin will probably come here to visit his 12 year old cousin, Jake.  For several years I've wanted to visit the San Juan Islands.   This would be the perfect opportunity to make that happen.  Anyway, a lot of that planning has to take place months before the event---especially if bargains are involved. 
     I had a pleasant surprise phone call from Chuck in Milwaukee.  We chatted a bit, discussed a troublesome "ad virus" I stupidly clicked on and talked about travel plans for Christmas.  (Chuck is a computer Geek.  He said there's been an onslaught of "spambot" viruses.  He also innocently commented he can't understand why people click on suspicious or weird looking emails.  He nicely didn't direct that comment to his mom.)
     After a lazy evening--including 50 minutes of stretching--of watching TV I anticipate climbing into my queenly bed for a night of royal dreams.

 
Dude, I have royal dreams of a
Presidential pardon this Thanksgiving.
Sorry it didn't work for you. 
 

      This has been a good 2 "still getting ready for company" days in the life of Grandma G.

      "Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the most High, and call upon in the day of trouble, I will deliver you and you will honor me."  (Psalm 50:14 & 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment