Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chicken Soup and Gerry's B-day.....

     Today started out quite rainy.  It was that way before aerobics and that way after---way after.  I decided today would be a great day to make chicken soup.  That I did, along with cleaning out the frig and doing a BUNCH of dishes.  I have discovered that dishes get slimy quickly here--must be the weather. (and maybe lack of punctuality)
     This day was actually productive---homemade chicken soup, dishes washed, laundry done, booking airline tickets for Lou to come visit over Thanksgiving.  All that had the sense of familiarity to me.  I felt "at home".  That is a good thing, seeing that this IS home now. 
    As I was preparing the veggies for the soup I had an "AHA" moment.  If you were standing and cutting up veggies on this "island" which direction would you face?  Toward the window or back to the window?  Up until this morning I would have my back to the window.  When a rare burst of sunlight shone through the window today I realized I should be facing all the wonderful sunshine. Enjoy it while it is there.  SO...I moved to the other side and soaked in the few moments of sunshine here the PNW.  I think this principle can be applied to our everything life.  Face and enjoy the small spurts of sunshine that brighten even our dull, gloomy days.  Yah. 


      There was even more sunshine in my life today.  Forty four years ago my oldest son, Gerry, made his entrance into this world.  Happy  44th B-day, Gerry!!   The thing about Gerry is that he is never in a hurry.  I noticed this trend at his birth--he was a 10 month gestation baby.  And then he arrived only after induced labor.  He was all wrinkly like a tiny grandpa-- an old, tiny grandpa. 
    I was surprised a couple days ago to find out he is coming to Vancouver for the weekend.  He has a work meeting in the Portland area on Monday and is coming early to hangout with us!  Hurray!

_____________________________________________________________________
    
                                               I hope you had a swell Halloween!
                                                    (Sand art by Jude, Gerry's son)
__________________________________________________________________

      LAST PICTURES OF CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT

 People are big on Lewis and Clark out here.  Must be something about the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean.
 Old moss covered WW ll  bunker.

 WHAT IS IT?
     1. Grandma G's private space capsule to Mars?
     2. Largest blown glass vase in the world?
    3.  The original warning light installed in Cape Disappointment lighthouse?
    4.  A petrified Alien?
              










      If you look really close at the dark area in the back of the right picture you will see one of the jetties that have narrowed the mouth of the Columbia River from 6 miles across to 2 miles.
     We couldn't see out to sea, but heard the loud, deep blasts of a ship's fog horn.

     This has been a good Gerry's B-day in the life of Grandma G.

     "Others went out on the sea in ships; they were merchants on the mighty waters.  They saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep."  (Psalm 107: 23 &24)






    

No comments:

Post a Comment