Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday.....

     Today was a "simply busy" day.  It started out with a messy house---except for the kitchen which got cleaned up yesterday---and rain.  I had a shopping trip to Fred Meyer's planned.  With a 3 day sale and an extra 10% coupon off the dishes I've been wanting to buy had come into manageable pricing.  Yeah!
     About 11AM I observed that the sun was shining--at least on the south side of the house.  Rain would return in a few hours.  I quickly got ready and headed outside to enjoy the sunshine.  I spent a few hours at Freddy's.  For one thing I picked up a ring I had bought as a gift to myself.  It had needed resizing.  While I ate a lunch of one chicken thigh (cooked) and 6 potato wedges* I studied and restudied the sale fliers.  With Thanksgiving under 3 weeks away it is time to start preparing.  Once I got my strategy planned I headed back into the aisles and shopped in earnest.  First item to procure was the dish set--actually 3 sets.  I needed to get a sale rep since I can't lift the boxes.  Turns out they had 3 and only 3 sets left.  I got them. 
     Off I went for a plethora of items--still setting up household and looking for the just right drapes for the office.  At checkout time I headed to the service counter to retrieve my dishes.  The nice workers assigned a rep to help me with them and the rest of my full cart.  He even unloaded them onto the checkout counter and then into my car.  Senior perks!!  
     While in the store I was impressed with the number of senior men who were being gentlemen to their wives.  They were patiently helping them with whatever was the need and helping them up from their chairs all the while addressing them as sweetheart, dear, hon.  Nice.
      It was raining when we left the store and put wet bags into the car and trunk.  They say that is the way here in the PNW.
      Back home I left things in the car while I hurried in for tea time until the rain stopped.  Debbie and Keys were going to be stopping later with Gerry when he arrived.  The dining table, the dining room floor, counter top and office floor were covered with mounds of stuff.  Can't have my new house all cluttered when company comes and Gerry sees it for the first time.  So.... began a swift clean up marathon while watching the latest news on Superstorm Sandy's aftermath.  
       At 7:40PM I had just opened the door and turned on the porch light when I heard Debbie speaking to Gerry.  Perfect timing. I was excited to have  family visitors on a Friday evening.  Turns out that Keys is sick.  Deb and Micaela picked up Gerry.  They were surprised I had a small meal of soup and snacks set out for them.   Gerry was impressed and pleased with the house.  I am pleased to have Gerry here in VC for the weekend.  Tomorrow  I will drive up to Deb's for an outdoor activity with them somewhere.
      After they left I sat in for awhile just enjoying the sensation of a clean, orderly house and then watched an episode of Grim.  It is filmed in Portland.  Both Angie and Zach have talked with at least one member of the cast.  Angie waited on them at the cafe where she worked, but didn't know who they were. She doesn't watch Grim. (Groan)  Zach met up with them at some point in his adventures around Portland. 
     Also this evening I made a donation to the Red Cross for the disaster relief in New York.  It is hard to fathom such suffering and loss. 
      *At lunch today I asked the lady in the deli, "What is the smallest amount of potato wedges I can order?"  She said, ONE.  Now that is accommodating.

 
Edible Thanksgiving Decorations

     This has been a good "simply busy" Friday in the life of Grandma G. 

     "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  (John 10:10)




     "

No comments:

Post a Comment