Friday, May 25, 2012

The End of an Era....

     Today was the last day for Northwoods Music & Supplies to be open.  It is the end of an era, a season, a pursuit, a business, an experience, a life style, an interaction for me.  When I took over the store 5 years ago I had in mind to run it for 5 years.  (At that time 5 years seemed like a long time to go.)  I didn't purposely close now because it WAS 5 years, but because it seemed time for me to do so. 

     The store had previously been an off shoot of Wausau Music located in Wausau, WI.  When I leased the suite it was with the agreement of subleasing to Wausau Music  and I would have a teaching studio.  This worked for 4 years and then Wausau Music wanted to pull out.  That is when my retail career started.  Frank B. had been working for WM  and agreed to stay on to help me.  (To this day some people still refer to the store as "Frankie's Store".) Frank remained my local helper until 2 years ago when his wife became ill and she needed him to be with her.   And even now he's done many chores for me. 

     I've learned many things these past 5 years---about ordering, about what people in this area like and don't like,  about trusting individuals to pay and some don't, about many business fees and taxes that are owed, about seeing kids happy to make their purchase, about aspiring musicians trying out instruments and dreaming of their first gig, about local musicians just wanting somewhere to hang out and swap stories.

     This has been a growing experience for me.  I 've learned to converse with people who were just looking for someone to listen to them.  I've learned to interact with folks even when I felt withdrawn.  I've had many "studio" hours to write and practice songs during afternoons when no customers came in.   I learned the discipline of showing up at a job everyday Monday through Friday.  I have grown in self-esteem, self-confidence, strength, objectivity, responsibility.    

    Now it is time to exit this season of my life and leave the music retail world to others.  I am happy for the experience and all that it has taught me.  I am ready to look ahead and pursue a new season in my life.

    This was also the last day of giving lessons here in Park Falls.  I've taught at the store (studio) for 9 years; at a different location 3 years and at home for 15 years.  I feel sad to leave my present students, but I know other teachers will come and fill  the void.  I will forever be attached to all the kids I have taught.  

     But I look forward to a new studio in my home in Vancouver, to new students and to new experiences.   

     These closing weeks and days have built a wonderful, satisfying, secure bridge for me to transition into the future.  That bridge will also be here for me to cross to come back for visits and to feel wanted and loved here in Park Falls.  The bridge itself has been built by all the kind words people have spoken to me of appreciation, gratitude, of missing me when I'm gone, of letting me know I am loved.

_______________________________________________________________

     The afternoon was "crazy".  There was a steady flow of customers checking the half price sale,  friends wanting to chat and wish me well, people trying out guitars to see if they were the proper fit, buyers calling their friends to find out what gauge guitar strings they wanted, piano players stocking up on music books.  
     The time passed quickly. Suddenly it was 5PM and time to turn off the "open" sign for the last time.  I have no sighs, regrets, wishes, or should haves.  I am ready to close shop and head into new pursuits.  These have been good years, good experiences, good goals and good achievements.   I am a kid just let out of school for the summer!!

      It was 6:30PM and time to be off to Wausau--a 2 hour drive from here-- for the high school graduation party for  my first grandchild.   But that is tomorrow's blog

This has been a good "end of an era" day in the life of Grandma G.   

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..."
(Ecclesiastes 3:1)
    







    

No comments:

Post a Comment