Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Last Tuesday...

     I went for a 30 minute walk this morning since rain was forecast to set in about 11:15AM and remain for the next 5 days.


     As I walked I in took in the "sounds" of spring here "up north".   Robins were chirping, a couple of geese honked as they flew over, crows cawed from some one's yard and dogs barked as I walked by.  Sounds of weed whackers, lawn mowers, a few cars going by, a four wheeler, front end loaders from the road construction, distant hum of machines from the paper mill, the warning blast of a train and a monarch butterfly fluttering by (he didn't make much noise)--- filled the air.  They are all glorious sounds.  Life is enjoying the warm, sunny weather that is way too short here up north!  There was even the sound of human voices as a fellow out trimming his yard noticed my camera and asked "what's up" for me today----pictures, I responded.



Many spring flowers are opening up:






these particular ones always remind me of a candy I liked when young--wafers of chocolate covered with tiny white balls. (I can't eat them now because those tiny white candies get stuck in my teeth.)





          "Bleeding hearts" bush is the first plant I remember being intrigued by when I first came to Park Falls.  Aunt Emma had a large one in her back yard.  For years I tried to get one to flourish but couldn't. 



white lilacs

                                                                                   lupine
                                                                                                                   tiny"hobbit"daisies                                                                      



                                                                                                 
_______________________________________________________________


       I took my car in this morning for an oil change, but also because the brakes needed to be checked over.  I told the fellow at the desk (I know him as Chuck) that I plan to drive the car out to Washington in August and need to be it to be road and mountain worthy.  (Chuck said they can do that for a mere $786. ) Whatcha gonna do?


     The afternoon at the music store was "The Last Tuesday".  There was already a fellow waiting for me when I got there. (Maybe because I was late?)  Wally K.  We have been good friends for many years.  I actually had been thinking about him the past few days and had intended to call him that afternoon--really.  He stopped to say goodbye to me and the store.  He also bought back a keyboard that I bought back from him after he bought from me.  He said that is the first time he bought the same keyboard from me 2 times.  Wally is 80 years old;started playing piano 6 years ago and hasn't stopped---he plays for hours at a time.   

                      He has a small business of roasting and packaging Colombian coffee---WK Coffee.  He doesn't do web selling, but he can ship to Vancouver,WA or anywhere else.  Good stuff.

   Though we officially said goodbye, I plan to meet up with him a couple occasions this summer.
A recently acquired friend--Dana-- also stopped in. He is looking to invest in a guitar---and coaching me on purchasing sound equipment in case I decide to do that. 






     A dad and his grown son came in to purchase a classical guitar they decided they liked.  They live in a rural area north of here.  Somehow we started talking about wildlife.  The dad was inquiring about grisly bears and snakes in the PNW.  We talked about the game animals here in northern Wisconsin and how some of them are getting to be a problem.  The DNR introduced elk a little north of here and they are thriving.  They seem like an overly large animal to be running loose here in the northwoods.   We shook hands (the customers and me--not the elk) and they wished me good luck out west.   

     I had one student this afternoon.  She and her mom brought me a present---a photo album and a necklace set.  The mom explained that her neighbors are from Uganda.  The husband is a doctor here.  The wife has several craft items from her home area that she sells and the proceeds go for medicine and food for the people.  What is unique about this necklace and bracelet is that even though they appear to be plastic or wooden, the beads are made from rolled up paper.   I will certainly treasure this gift and wear it often.  




     And the RAIN?   It never came.

     This has been an enjoyable, relaxing "Last Tuesday" in the life of Grandma G.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you,"  (Isaiah 55:12)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment