Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day!

     Today is Memorial Day.  The day we remember and honor our soldiers who have died defending our country and the freedoms we have.  These men and women have also died defending the rights of people all over the world.  I salute them, thank them and their families for the sacrifices they have made.  Thank you.
     We also recognize and honor all those who serve and have served in the US military.  Several of my children and their mates have served or are now serving. 
         




Angie, (middle) playing oboe, with the NG band



  I thank.......
Louie, my  husband, for serving in the WI National Guard.  He was called up for several months service in Tacoma, WA.
Debbie, my oldest daughter, for serving with a medical unit of the WI NG.
 Keys, her husband, for serving in medical unit of Washington NG.
  Burt, my son, for serving in medical unit of WI NG and MOSTLY for serving on the front lines of Saudi Arabia during the 1991 Operation Desert Storm.   Thank you, Burt! 
 Jen, Burt's wife, who continues to serve in a medical unit of the WI Air Force guard.  She has served for over 20 years.
 Angie, my daughter, who continues to serve after 23 years in the WI NG.  She served 20 years in the band. She is now with a nursing unit, serving full time. 
 Al, my son, for serving with a engineering unit of the WI NG.
 Chuck, my son, for serving full time with the Air Force in Colorado Springs.

              The greatest time of fear for my children was when Burt was on the front lines the first day of Desert Storm.  I felt like evil had reached in and pulled one of my sons into the depth of it.  I remember the joy I felt when his unit returned safely and we welcomed them home in southern Wisconsin. 

        On the lighter side.....when I was around 12 years old there was a TV program, West Point.  I would faithfully watch it every week and fantasize about being a cadet at West Point.  In those days only men were allowed to go there.  In my grown up years I realized I was not physically strong enough to have endured such rigorous training.  But I am proud to be part of the military tradition through the 8 soldiers in my family who have served.  And there is the reality of me doing MY military duty through many days of caring for grandchildren while the military moms were at annual training.


________________________________________________________________

          American bald eagles in Yellowstone National Park, May 2006




  This afternoon I'll have the traditional first bratwurst cookout of the season with some of my family coming over.  The day started dark clouded and rainy, but the sun is shining at mid morning!

This is a good Memorial Day in the life of Grandma G.

"They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks.  Nation with not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment