Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Week of Cups...#5...And a Whole Lot More

     IT HAS TO BE THE DATE....10/11/12
 
      The day started out quite normal...for me anyway.  Having woken up at 8:20 I figured it was time to get back to water aerobics. Since it started at 9 I know I had 36 minutes to get there and still be on time.  (It's a way of life.  Don't want to waste time by getting anywhere too early.)  OOPS.  Forgot the summer of road upheaval followed me out from Park Falls.  My known path to the rec center was blocked off, so it was a maze trying to find my way.  Fortunately I wasn't the only one delayed by the blocked roads.  
      All went well for the morning until I was reading news headlines on Yahoo.  "Beano Cook dies" it read.  What?  A cook who cooks with Beano died?  Strange news.   Now I don't mean any disrespect, but I wasn't familiar with a sports commentator named Beano Cook.  Just a slip of interpretation.  No offense meant.  Sorry to his family.   Beano, I hope you think that is funny.
     I have invited Deb and her family over for dumplings on Sunday.  They are the royalty of dumping eaters.  The whole lot of them; it's the "sour gravy" that gets them.  I have been  gradually buying the ingredients every time I venture out to Fred Meyers.  I thought I finally had all that I needed.  THEN this morning it popped into my head......Oh, I forgot the.....lard.  One can't make sour gravy without the lard. 
    This  happened while I was preparing to make hot German potato salad for the community's pot luck dinner this evening.  I was going to make it early so it could "season" for awhile. It needed sauteed onions. I knew I bought onions, or did I buy just one onion...the one I finished off the other day?  Might as well venture back to Freddy's since "THE RAIN" starts tomorrow.  Then I can also buy the lard.  And the 3 other items I'd forgotten for Sunday's meal.  
     Saw the weirdest sight on the way to Fred's.  There was this skinny, almost flat, teenage looking girl who had REALLY blond hair waving a sign that stated, "We buy Gold".  I was amazed at the girl, though she didn't have much expression.  On the way back home from FM's I saw she was still waving her sign. She hadn't moved much.   From the back her hair looked like a wig. Then it all made sense. Flat blondie was a mechanical flat girl. Probably works pretty cheaply.    
    So as I was pulling into my driveway a guy pulls up and stops and gets out of his truck.  I recognized him---my honey do handyman.  But, he apologized and said he must have the wrong house.  He was looking for Georgia.  Hmmmm.  Am I very flat with really blond hair?  When I admit I AM Georgia he again apologizes and says he can come tomorrow to do my honey do list since it is going to....RAIN.  There's that word again.  People around here use it with the same sense of apprehension that folks in Park Falls use the word "SNOW".

     Once I got settled into my house I reasoned I have all the ingredients for both German potato salad and dumplings.  It took only 5 trips to Freddy's to accomplish that. 
     The rest of the late afternoon and early evening passed with homey familiarity--rushing to get the food prepared in time for the dinner.  Good feeling.  All went well.  Well, until I got home and realized I was wearing TWO WATCHES.
     I remember putting on a watch as I was talking with new friends shortly after the meal.  My subconscious must have felt it in my pocket and just put it on my wrist.  Luckily I was wearing a jean jacket so nobody saw the other watch already on my wrist.  I HOPE nobody saw it.  When I got home I looked at my wrist and there were two watches.  I hope they are both mine and that someone didn't watch me blatantly walk off with her watch.   However, there is good evidence they are both mine.  Can you see it?
   





  There is a second story to this double watch event.  About half way out on our 3 senior sisters cross country road trip I realized I didn't have my watch.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  I noticed on occasion that my younger sister had on a watch very similar to the one I couldn't find.  Did she mistakenly take my watch as her own?  How can I say anything?  Finally in Canada with 2 days of the trip left I bought a genuine leather Canadian watch. ($14).  And have been using it since---since right now.  Now I have 2 watches.  On the same wrist.  At the same time.  Oh, My.  It's gotta be the date....10/11/12. 
     There is a reasonable explanation.  The blue watch has been in the pocket of my black jeans which I haven't worn since leaving Park Falls.  Has the watch been through the laundry?  Am I wearing dirty jeans from PF?  I don't know.  But welcome home blue watch.  And, Ya, sorry, Betsy, I should have remembered my watch is blue and the one you were wearing looked black.
     I think that is more information than you want to know in one day, so cup stories can continue tomorrow....when comes.....THE RAIN.

     This has been a good 10/11/12 day in the life of Grandma G.

    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."  (Proverbs 17:22)



No comments:

Post a Comment