Wednesday, October 24, 2012

First Senior Field Day....Part One...

       Tuesday was my first senior day trip.  I didn't sleep well Monday night because I didn't have an alarm clock and I was fearful of missing my first adventure.  (My first real adventure should have been several weeks ago to a store to buy an alarm clock.)
                                                                                                           Heading out on my first senior trip
     With much excitement and a little apprehension (Who likes being the new kid?) I ventured out for my first morning drive, heading for the senior center.  I was all set since I had a practice drive on Sunday,and was pleasantly surprised there was very little traffic---until close to the senior center.  I had to pass through the Clark Community College parking lots. 
      The senior center had all the feel and appearance of a senior center.  There were two groups that morning.  One for our day trip and a hardier group all geared up for a hiking excursion.  (One of my goals is to get fit enough to join that elite group of hikers.) 
         
   Two vans of folks headed out by 8:30 for a full day of scenic enjoyment.  I took the  last seat in the very back of the van because that was all that was left by the time I boarded.  Not a bad seat except the view was limited and I couldn't get pictures of all the cool scenery that seemed to constantly be on the right side of the van. And a rather bouncy seat, kind of like riding an unpredictable donkey.  (Not that I am whining or any thing of that sort--just stating facts.) 


   We headed east of Vancouver, paralleling the Columbia River (I think).  Our first stop was the Bonneville Dam and Fish Ladders. 

                                                                                       part of the "ladders" for fish to swim up
It is a series of "ladders" for the fish (salmon) to swim up on
as in nature, but with help.  The tour guide told us the process from spawning to the mature fish returning to spawn.  Quite a remarkable man made ecosystem.   







Mural on the wall.....
 
 
 
 
       On the way to the fish ladders we passed Beacon Rock.  Beacon Rock is a monolith.  According to our tour guide it is one of the three largest in the world.  The other 2 are Gibraltar and Aryers. 
 
      How do YOU rank them?   First____________Second_____________Third_______________  
 
 Beacon Rock from a distance
                                                                                    Zoomed in view of Beacon Rock
 
 
      Several folk from out here (including fellow mother-in-law, Carole) have climbed Beacon Rock.  The trail is circular around the rock. I hear it was rather treacherous years back, but the path is more secure now.  One always has to be aware of the wind closer to the top.  Hopefully some day I will add my name to the list of successful climbers. 
 
 


      We had our lunch break at Skamania Lodge.  Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the beautiful lodge.  We ate a delicious lunch in a dining hall overlooking the Columbia River.  The meal was a wonderful time of meeting ladies, practicing their names in my mind, feeling connected with a common bond of surviving a half century and relishing the privilege of living.  
 
 
 
 
(Here's a little secret.  There is SNOW on them there mountains. OH, NO.  Locals call it termination dust.  It heralds the end of the autumn season and start of winter.)
 
   Come back tomorrow for more great pictures and stories.
 
_____________________________________
 
     Halloween Horror Picture #7 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
       This has been a good "after my first senior outing" day in the life of Grandma G.
 
 
     "Great are the works of the Lord; they are pondered by all who delight in them.  Glorious and majestic are his deeds, and his rightousness endures forever."  (Psalms 111:2 & 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment