Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week of Cups.....#7....and More

     Cup from Perth.....

 
     This cup was a gift from my 2 grandkids who, with their mom and dad traveled Perth, Australia,  summer of 2011.  It is very personal, as you can see.  It cannot be bought in a store.  Jude,9, and Gemma,4, spent a month visiting their 2 closest childhood friends, Abby and Cooper, who had lived next door to them for 4 years in California.  Their mom is from Perth and the family recently moved back. 


     With Gemma's little world being even smaller because of her first year of frail health, Abby was her link to a larger outside world.  Parting from her at 4 years old was traumatic.  It was with great elation that the 4 friends were re-united for a brief time. 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________________________
 
       Monday I found myself (didn't know I was lost) tired from the dumpling dinner party and clean up.  Staying up until midnight added to the fatigue.  Granddaughter, Angie, 18, was to have a bone scan in Portland in the afternoon.  After some thought I called Deb to see if I could invite myself along. 
       Angie picked me up at noon and we met Deb for the drive into Portland and the hospital complex up on the hill.  It was a very rainy day with temperature in the 60's.  Angie said, "Well, Gram this is winter.  This is as bad as it gets.  We complain about the rain because there is nothing else to complain about."   
      Angie had surgery 2 and half years ago for a tethered spinal cord. (It was not discovered until then.)  She had temporary relief from pain, but then even more set in.  The months following have been filled with doctor visits and treatment options.  Shriners' Hospital in Portland is now offering further tests and treatments. 
       Deb and I sat in during a series of spinal and hip scans.  We are all eager to see  what they may show.  It is unfortunate for a very active, athletic young woman to be so incapacitated. 

 
Hint of Fall colors and "eternal" flame
 
View from hospital hallway
Sculpture of rabbit, cat and goat
 
_______________________________________________________________
 
      Tuesday brought return of sunshine.  I decided to walk to water aerobics shortly before 9AM. OOPS! My usual route was closed off because of road work in the park. (That is what my little community is officially called.)  It took a few extra minutes to find my way there. 
     I wasn't sure how the day was going to go or how I would occupy the time.  There are numerous tasks to be tended to, but it is easy to procrastinate. I did cook up some mixed legume soup, took a nap (short on sleep), watched part of Enemy Mine (a classic from earlier years about a human and a drak),stretched and tried out some stretch band exercises that are suppose to heal out my aching right shoulder.  Also observed the presidential debate.   I'm to the point of "settling in" that I need to finish settling in and get on with some lessons and more interaction with other folks. 
    Tomorrow there are 2 fellows coming to repair a soft spot in my entrance.  Handyman Bob is also coming to wash outside windows while the sun is shining and to put together more furniture pieces for me.  Interaction day tomorrow!! 
 
     This has been 2 good "everyday" days in the life of Grandma G.
 
     "For the word of the Lord is right and true, he is faithful in all he does.  The Lord loves righteousness and  justice, the earth is full of his unfailing love."  (Psalm 33: 4 & 5)
 
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment