Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Week of Cups....#6....And a Rarity

     I received something in the mail today that is rare these days---a LETTER--3  pages!!   A dear friend from Park Falls sent me something and included a wonderful correspondence.  It was a comfort and a pleasure to read  words written on real paper.  It felt almost nostalgic, like from another era.  I don't know when I last wrote a letter; I am going to return one to her.
    The day started out with light rain.  I did see a few minutes of sun and blue sky to the east, very dark clouds to the west.  It actually did not rain a lot through the day, mostly cloudy and it was NOT COLD. The weather pattern here is intriguing to me since I am psyched out for northern Wisconsin late fall/early winter.  I will probably be comparing it all winter---and hopefully happily surprised.
_______________________________________________________



                            CUP #6    SHEPPARTON, AUSTRALIA

     I bought this cup in a souvenir store in Shepparton.  I bought 2 of them.  One to bring  back as a gift to my son, Burt, who was the exchange student to Shepparton 24 years ago.
     This cup not only brings back memories of my trip to meet Burt's host parents, but also memories of when Burt was 16 years old and living almost 10,000 miles away. 
     What is  unique about this cup is that the main picture is printed on the "front" of the cup.  It is a cup of leftie/rightie equality.  That says a lot for Aussie's sense of fair play.  If one is left handed one gets an additional scene of cows in a field.  If one is right handed one gets an additional scene of crops in a field.  Of course, one is free to hold one's cup with whatever hand that one so desires to no matter what handed one is and what scene one would like to view.  THE END 

 
Show us the way to Shepparton, Australia, please.




 
Well dressed cows in Shepparton park






 
Taking the Vegemite Challenge!!





Taking the German dumplings Challenge!!

 

 24 year old Wisconsin sugar spoon
that actually has been used for 24 years.
(Burt gave this as a gift to his host family.)
 
 
______________________________________________________________________
 
 
         Learning to live the PNW life style

  
    
     A lot of homes here have fireplaces (not to be confused with the tree trunk burning furnaces of northern Wisconsin) in the living room, family room or "great room".   Several are gas or electric, yet many are wood burning.  Rather, they are artificial log burning.  I have this nice corner fireplace that I have been eager to try.  Tomorrow evening is suppose to be rainy and also tomorrow Deb's family is coming over for dumpling dinner.  I figure it will be a great time to put  an artificial log on the fire. (Try out the whole thing while someone is here with me.)
    Thursday I bought a box of artificial logs and a set of propane lighters.  On Friday my honey do handyman told me how the fireplace functions.  Today I cleaned out a large supply of ashes the past owners nicely left behind.  Tomorrow I will put an artificial log on the fire and we will enjoy the ambiance.    (I hope)  

     This has been a good Saturday in the life of Grandma G.
    
     "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  (James 1:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment